There are newer employer reviews for Sony Electronics

Nice Experience - Don't think I would do it again

Former Employee - Customer Support Manager in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Customer Support Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Electronics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance is great, pay is great above average for most. Access to products is good. Benefits overall were really something to write home about.

Cons

For the past several years - worrying when the axe is going to fall. Company needs another Trinitron product something it can show the world they are a leader.

Become a leader again, not a Johnny come lately

417 Other Employee Reviews for Sony Electronics (View Most Recent)

Declining of Sony Brand and Marketing force

Former Employee - Director of Marketing
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing

I worked at Sony Electronics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Sony known as one of the best global company consists of top notch innovative ideas and designs; Sony Electronics Inc, is a sales and marketing company of US region to help contribute the products to consumers. Under such environment, I was able to work with people with passion and who loved Sony throughout their life. Many smart people who liked Sony and the whole offices were mixed with many different backgrounds that made the company exciting.

Cons

Unfortunately, in past 5 years (more or less), newly joined sales, marketing and branding people had no understanding on Sony products and philosophy of the company. Many of them carried MBAs but had no brilliant ideas to achieve the sales goals, lacking of innovative thoughts and simply interested in making their portfolio stands out for next career. Many of these people relied in outsourcing group/ third parties who also have poor performance in output. Terrible Branding group who also messed up the brand of the company and failed to gain the trust among the consumers. Recent years of low level performance of these marketer/sales representative and branding people created terrible reputation among CE industries and market.

Deputy/CEO from Japan who just recently came to US and leads SEL with his partner (US CEO) should be fired immediately. He is the guy who actually messed up the whole business in Sony; nobody want to follow him and many left for this reason. Management team should also understand that due to their lack of innovative marketing ideas, the sales are obviously sliding down the hill. What Sony Electronics currently have now is secondary workforce with poor performance and lack of talent in marketing.

Some stellar products, but a nightmare of a management structure.

Former Employee - Digital Imaging Specialist in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Imaging Specialist in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Sony Electronics part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Amazing products, particularly in the Digital Imaging/Camera division.
    - Employee Discounts

Cons

Where to start?

First off, I started as a seasonal. The way management treats its seasonal hires was what turned me off from the beginning. The amount of turnover this store experiences is unbelievable. If you're a seasonal, be prepared to have your sales stolen from the established sales people. Management turns a blind eye to this. Favoritism runs rampant; I saw them give a $700+ prize that was meant to be for the top salesman of the holiday season to a favorite, established employee who came in 2nd in sales that quarter. The top salesman was a seasonal that was let go because management didn't like him. I saw this man give all of his effort to making the store profitable, becoming top salesman, just to be stiffed on a prize he deserved more than anyone in that store. This was disgusting and unethical.

This alone would be tolerable if one didn't have to deal with the management structure; Five managers in a store with only eight sales people. The amount of cognitive dissonance I experienced on a day-to-day basis was insane; Managers would often order employees to do things that would contradict what another manager said to do, and they would get borderline passive-aggressive when you hesitated to do something they directed because another manager told you to do something different. Management in this store has some serious communication, and ego-trip issues. I have never felt so disposable, unvalued and unappreciated. I would miss my breaks, because managers would tell me to wait untill they told me it was okay to go, then they would forget. I would remind them and they would become visibly annoyed, "you should have told me earlier, now I have no coverage!" "didnt you just take a lunch?" Everyday was a constant battle to not just drop everything, quit and walk out of the store. I was coached multiple times a day for such petty, arbitrary reasons. It was exhausting. I'm a hard worker that gave 110% every time I stepped into the store, and yet, management made it very difficult to do my job and make the company money. I could give more examples, but I think you get the picture.

Commission is laughable. Almost not worth the effort. Your hours are cut if you don't sell enough, then you don't sell enough because your hours have been cut. It can become a downward cycle.

Dont get me wrong, I was extremely fortunate to have a job during my finally year in university. I survived two job cuts where 75% of the store's workforce was let go. The head manager is an amazing, friendly and understanding. I owe my job to him. This does not, however, excuse how poor is subordinate managers treated me and the other seasonals.

Leadership has some serious communication and ego issues. I think you should address the serious turnover you guys experience and work on making employees feel more valued. Good Luck!

There are newer employer reviews for Sony Electronics