There are newer employer reviews for Sony Online Entertainment

Short-Term Experience

Former Employee - Billing and Technical Customer Support in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Billing and Technical Customer Support in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Easy-going. Casual dress code. Flexible Schedule. Free Coffee. Membership bonuses for their games.

Cons

High turnover rate. Nepotism. A bit disorganized. Performance does not matter as much as it should.

...

82 Other Employee Reviews for Sony Online Entertainment (View Most Recent)

Why SOE still exists is one of life's great mysteries...

Former Employee - 3D Artist I in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - 3D Artist I in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Great Networking Opportunities

Cons

Incompetent Management
    Creatively Stifling Atmosphere
    Laughable Development Cycles
    Terrible Games

Why this company still operates to this day baffles me. SOE was founded on what could honestly be called a fluke. Everquest debuted in 1999 as one of the first 3D MMOs and it gained popularity for being innovative, and one of a kind. Even though it was deeply flawed, lacked any kind of artistic style, or substance it still garnered a massive following and made everyone at SOE insanely rich. I heard stories of employees receiving bonus checks and then returning from lunch in extravagant sports cars. The problem is all the original management operate on the belief that one day SOE will return to those glory days and it's painfully apparent that mentality dictates how every game has been developed since then.

SOE games are not developed to be fun, creative, or rewarding experiences for the player. They are made to drain as much money from them as possible. The diction and vocabulary that dominates meetings is all about sales figures, user retention, exploring new ways to exploit the user, and destroying the competition. They motivate you with the promise of bloated bonuses, royalty checks (which I have never seen in my 5 years), raises, all with the successful launch of a new game. You simply can't motivate creative people in this way. We didn't go into games to make us rich, we did it because there we have an inherent passion to use this amazing medium to develop games that will inspire, enrich, and entertain the player. If you make games with the sole purpose to become rich, you'll neither become rich, or make great games. I believe it's this simple fundamental flaw in SOE's leadership that continues to ruin any potential to make great games.

Another problem are the ways the games are developed. For whatever reason SOE feels the need to re-invent the wheel each and every time never retaining the invaluable lessons learned from prior failures. Because of this games are never developed correctly. I've never seen a game go through a proper pre-production phase, a prototype stage, and once the game reaches a beta level it's never fully tested. It's rushed out the door and launched in a broken, bug ridden state that continually hurt SOE's reputation.

SOE hemorrhages talent. One positive thing about SOE is they hire a lot of artists out of school, and it's a great opportunity for them to gain experience, ship a title or two, and move on. This is unfortunate because I've seen a lot of very talented, passionate people come and go and if SOE could retain more of that talent the environment and quality of the games would improve. The people who remain at SOE have been there a very long time and have grown complacent with receiving their paycheck, releasing sub-par games, and are completely unmotivated to do much else. There are quite a few cliques and it can feel a bit like high school at times which is detrimental to the functionality of a team. The big problem here is that a lot of the management has been home grown, people who worked themselves up from QA, fixing and finding bugs, to managerial positions with responsibilities so beyond their skill set and experience level it baffles the mind. SOE also promotes members of QA to the design team. You have to admire the motivation of someone who worked at Burger King, got a job doing Quality Assurance at SOE, then became a designer. It's a romantic idea, but the fact is these people have absolutely no experience designing games, and when all their knowledge of design comes from poorly designed games, well, you can see there is an obvious problem here.

When I quit SOE Smedley had just implemented a mandatory arrangement where every person on the team had to dedicate work time to taking phone calls as a customer service representative. Yes, I am not joking. SOE had laid off a large part of the work force in 2012, closed a number of studios, and as a result artists, programmers, designers, and everyone else had to take customer service training to answer phone calls and troubleshoot customer problems. I don't know if that is still in effect, but just the fact they decided to do this meant it was time to go.

Gut the management. Find some new blood with a relevant, up to date understanding of the industry and restructure. You're no longer qualified to make decisions at that level and every time you do you're making things monumentally worse. Stop hiring temps, outsourcing, people from QA and properly invest in top tier talent. Finally, listen. Trust the people you bring in from the outside. They have great ideas, and are being paid to share the invaluable experience they've had working for other more successful developers.

Politics, Politics, Politics

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and good benefits.

Cons

Terrible management and lots of backstabbing between employees. Inexperienced studio management making very poor development decisions and blaming failure on lower employees. Terrible understanding of scheduling and process. Hostile attitudes toward employees wanting to transfer from one SOE office to another.

Honestly, I think the place is so broken they need to be shut down and Sony needs to start over.

There are newer employer reviews for Sony Online Entertainment