Sony Online Entertainment

www.sonyonline.com
  www.sonyonline.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sony Online Entertainment

A creative and exciting place to work without being micro managed.

Current Employee - Security in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Security in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Creativity, opionions, and just being yourself is encouraged. Feel like writing an idea on one of the white walls or the white boards all over the building feel free to. Its a very laid back and stress free environment.

Cons

They like to do what I call, "Test drive before they buy" so they like to contract you out first before deciding if they want to bring you on full-time or not.

I am very happy with management and the communication they have with their employee's.

84 Other Employee Reviews for Sony Online Entertainment (View Most Recent)

Inexcusably low standards and apathy across the board

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Spotted throughout the company there are actually some really talented, nice people who have learned to just accept the laughably flawed process that Sony Online considers "Game Development". The quality of life of living in San Diego and the fact that all dev teams rarely crunch is pretty nice.

Cons

Sony Online Entertainment is the most bizarre place I've ever worked in my entire life. The standards at SOE are extremely low. I mean LOW. Low as in mind-blowing can not fathom how this company is profitable, how some folks wound up in their positions, and harness such poor effort, quality, and nonsense among the vast majority of their complacent and lethargic employees. If your whole mentality, approach, and general attitude towards making games is "eh, whatever who cares (knowing your work is riddled with bugs, will negatively effect other people/disciplines, and are ok with using broken, buggy, and extremely frustrating and annoying tools, then you will love it at Sony Online Entertainment. It's almost as if they reward mediocrity. If you read more reviews about Sony Online Entertainment, you'll see a pattern of employees past and present complaining about "Upper Management". Well..They're all accurate. The problem with these few people is extremely simple. They're not very good at their jobs. They really want to be; they're just not. When you have people in management positions who simply aren't very good, with subordinates (some of whom) are extremely talented, experienced, and motivated, those subordinates get beat down. Your motivation, creativity, inspiration, drive, passion..Gets BEAT DOWN to the point that you just can't keep spinning your wheels and just give up to the corporate & political world that is Sony Online Entertainment. The further you reach, in attempting to get information about a product or design will result in you being perceived as someone who's a lone wolf or going against the grain and it is EXTREMELY uninspiring to work in this type of atmosphere. It's a real shame that other studios are forced to close their doors who have such healthy game development processes and people, while (somehow) Sony Online hasn't closed due to making completely average (at best) games. Totally mind baffling.

I honestly don't think there is anything I could say that any manager at Sony Online Entertainment would ever actually take into consideration. They're mostly all stubborn know it all's who one way or another suck up to the president, Smed.

Working hard to ship award winning games and satisfy our dedicated fans

Current Employee - Senior Artist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Artist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation and benefits, great co-workers, great games, and great fans.

Cons

Some times crunch is excessive.

Keep an eye on the work life balance and long term goals.

There are newer employer reviews for Sony Online Entertainment