Best Job I've ever had!

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment, interesting work, cool people... Lots of training, good budget for gear. Management is competent. Results oriented.

Cons

None. Anything negative I might say would be petty. I guess you could say that we have more work than we could possibly do (and we do) but the management knows this, and doesn't make people work themselves to death to do the impossible. They set priorities. But there's just not enough time in the day!

Other Reviews for Sony PlayStation

A lot of complacent lifers and out of touch

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cordial environment and some are passionate

Cons

Nearly all of those lifers are insecure about job security and created a fiefdom environment. A lot of meaningless meetings to put on a facade of seeming busy. Most of the people who stayed and remained at SCEA have become complacent and always talk about the ps one and ps2 glory days when there was little competition. ALL of the old timers have become oblivious. Clearly they didn't retain or grow because of talent or else SCEA wouldn't be in turmoil. Sony hasn't innovate for over a decade and these old timers who cling onto old technology is the reason. Don't want to get started with HR retaining good talent.
    No sour grapes but too many old timers walking around with flip phones, blackberrys, spreadsheets, lotus notes, paper documents, and outdated systems

Jack, either you and your executive team have become burned out or just out of touch. Unfortunate cause you do get people who care. Do something because you guys are being laughed at in the industry

Management Lacks Vision and No Well Defined Career Path for Employees

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer  in  Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- A very good place for learning new things since a lot of freedom in provided to do work in your own way
    - Compensation is competitive.
    - Culture is very healthy and supporting for employees.
    - Many people stay here for long time and have really good knowledge / expertise of their domain.
    - Flexibility in work, office timings and work styles.

Cons

- No Clear Career path for Technical or management verticals
    - Senior management lacks vision and have really tough time driving any projects.
    - A lot of cross functional politics is driving projects to be failure or un-successful.
    - No Work from home option
    - Though you may have high expectations of this company due to high quality products like PS3 etc, there is little inspiring inside when you work with people. In relation with other companies I have worked in past (Cisco, GE Healthcare, Symantec)
    - At heart of this company its still stone aged in terms of technologies used inside (e.g. Lotus Notes - I hate it - trust me you will. , very mediocre intranet, no internal chat or IM, )
    - No co-operation from sister concerns like SNE and others. A lot of politics in terms of who own the project/data rather then making a impact for benefit of greater Sony.

- Need a drive to Speed up the innovation.
    - Encourage cross functional coordination and efficiencies.
    - Establish a synergy with sister concerns like SNE and many others otherwise it will be too late.

There are newer employer reviews for Sony PlayStation.

Worked for Sony PlayStation? Contribute to the Community!