Sony PlayStation

There are newer employer reviews for Sony PlayStation

It was pleasant internship

Former Employee - Research Intern in Foster City, CA
Former Employee - Research Intern in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work/Life Balance was good. Interaction within a group was good. You could talk and discuss work with your manager at any time.

Cons

Interaction among groups are a little less. They did not hold a group gathering for interns where interns from other department could meet at one place.

192 Other Employee Reviews for Sony PlayStation (View Most Recent)

So much red tape I'm drowning

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team. Slowly building up collaboration and trying to build up proper infrastructure.

Cons

Corporate IT Policies block production progress at every turn. There is a HUGE disconnect and lack of communication between departments. No one knows what anyone is working on, and not just in secret projects but in building up infrastructure. We need to be working on coming together and bridging the gap between IT and other departments. They either need to give up our own environment to properly manage or to learn to work closely together. They believe obscurity is security. All this does is put a black cloud of paranoia over all departments and causes major administrative overhead and time wasting.

Please work toward getting specialized departments like R&D their own infrastructure so that we can properly manage our highly specialized user setups ourselves. We have a very talented and diverse team and need to at some point need to learn to trust our employees.

I hope someday that we can have a fine line between corporate IT and Production work system administration.

Ultimately there are too many large egos in IT and far too much Red Tape. Some of this may be due to cultural differences between the Americas and Japan, however certainly not to the extent that we experience and fight for everyday. We must work as a team or we will fall apart. Duplication of efforts, lack of knowledge and communication impacts planning in certain departments, and ultimately we end up with a less secure environment as we are not working together and utilizing all our talents.

Point being, "Learn to trust your department admins and give them the control they need to build up proper and secure infrastructure."...You might even learn something.

Fun Industry but Very Poor Executive Management

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great product, friendly co-workers, fun industry. I loved work here at PlayStation, mostly because of the industry. I learned a lot of what NOT to do!

Cons

Executive Mgmt is clueless. PS Move, 3D and PS Vita are all failures. PS Mobile will be the next failure. I don't have a lot of confidence that Orbis will sell well as I don't see it selling to the casual audience. They simply don't need it. The company is quickly losing support of their 3rd Party Publishers.

Improve marketing and focus on your core gamer. Repair the relationship with 3rd Party Publishers. Stop investing in low margin areas where you can't compete, like casual games. Focus on the core gamer. That is your market!

There are newer employer reviews for Sony PlayStation