There are newer employer reviews for Sony PlayStation

Mostly incompetent leadership at the C level and manager level.

Former Contractor - QA Professional in San Diego, CA
Former Contractor - QA Professional in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount on games and console hardware. That's it.

Cons

Lack of competency at C level and manager level. Departments are silos with managers protecting their own turfs at the expense of the whole company. Company culture is one of "I don't know what you are doing and I don't care as long as my project goes forward." Best talents leave and incompetents stay behind and walk the halls like dinosaurs.

Advice to Management

Be honest with candidates at the job interviews. Don't paint a rosy picture just to get people in the door.

reviews filtered by

For perms, 20% of staff, awesome. for the rest. discarded as easily as gained.

Former Contractor - Game Test Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Game Test Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

New big titles free, like Uncharted 3, fun atmosphere most of the time. Cheap soda machine and free K-cup coffee.

Cons

1 perm tester for every 15+ temps. Harsh hiring transition process that often translates more into who you know and likes you as opposed to how well you work. Often, but not always, have supervisors who show up late and clearly were never good at even your job. Work is fluctuating highly, often only 6 months of the year of high work load, rest of the year maybe half the available temps are used.

Advice to Management

Better review overtime listings for permanents on weekends, as often there were as many or more perms then temps and they often had 2-3 hour of work a day between them. Only 1 would put in a half days work, others would just be there to collect OT. In San Diego well below desired income, most employees lived with parents or a large number of room mates.

Every man for himself

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work on games enjoyed by millions of people. Flexible hours and attire (like holy Australian Nightmare you wouldn't believe the way we dress for work). Excellent facilities with numerous amenities (gym, pool, aerobics, etc.)

Cons

Our culture is heavily siloed and relies on ad-hoc individual contributions. There is a very need-to-know culture of secrecy around almost everything. I don't think anyone has spent any time developing and promoting wholesome institutional habits. So, everything falls on the shoulders of individuals and when they leave that bit of institutional knowledge inevitably goes with them.

Advice to Management

Promote teamwork. Communicate openly (not like Layden's 2014 company meeting).