There are newer employer reviews for Sony

My honest opinion, but it's still only my opinion.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony

Pros

Generally, very good support of employees. Sony does a generally good job of making employees feel valued. Benefits, salaries, support policies, etc, seem better than average in the industry. Also, it is quite multi-cultural, which tends to protect against group-think. Advancement might not be as fast as in, say, a startup, but you can definitely do quite well here. In sum, Sony is a place you can have a solid career in.

Cons

It's just so big, so diverse, so all-over-the-place. So there are a lot of challenges trying to get the left hand and the right hand to work well together, or even know what they are doing. This is especially true because most big decisions and funding come from Tokyo (HQ), so US employees sometimes aren't clear on what the corporate direction, and what is the basis for some decisions.

Generally, management seems to be doing a decent job. I would improve and emphasize customer service. Sony likes to emphasize that it is a premium brand building premium products. Premium customer service and customer relationship, after the product has been sold, would be huge help in setting Sony apart in a very competitive market.

368 Other Employee Reviews for Sony (View Most Recent)

Nice to have on your CV, not so nice for your personal life

Current Employee - Category Manager
    Current Employee - Category Manager

I have been working at Sony

Pros

It´s a well recognized place to work. It gives some wight to CV since it´s well seen by almost everyone.

Cons

Main downside: Japanese-culture-company: NO personal life, management´s main priority is work life. No balance between work and personal life. Not to be even considered as a "best place to work". Most managers decide by themselves.

1. Try to balance work vs life
    2. Please take under consideration employees suggestions and needs

Good place to work, don't kill yourself

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Sony

Pros

Reputation, salary, opportunity for advancement. I earn a great deal of respect both in the workplace and from my peers with the knowledge that I am employed by such a well respected company as Sony. I have confidence in the brand name and its recognition that preceeds my reputation and helps me earn respect wherever I choose to go.

Cons

The only real downside I experienced was that they looked down on my having a personal life, and any time family came first I was ostracized and led to believe that a promotion was at stake if I did not put the company first. They expected me to be available 24-7 and to always put work first.

Relax