Sophos

www.sophos.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Sophos

OK. Just.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Abingdon, England (UK)
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Abingdon, England (UK)

I worked at Sophos full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very good work life balance.
Most colleagues care and are very helpful.
Subsidised lunch (used to be top notch. now (sub?) standard canteen fare) and free buns and coffee.
Excellent surrounds for a luchtime walk/jog.
Lots of good people so you can learn a lot if you're starting out in your career.

Cons

Dreadful pay rises. In real terms your salary decreases most years.
Legal minimum benefits e.g. pensions, holidays, paternity leave etc.
Excessive layers of management which try to justify themselves to the detriment of the company.
Not particularly flexible.

Lose some weight. Get some focus.
Take a history lesson from CA before contemplating off-shoring.

191 Other Employee Reviews for Sophos (View Most Recent)

mis managed and poorly directed

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros – free bun and coffee, nice carpark

Cons

Cons – complete mess, layer apon layer of management all trying to show they are needed. I am in support and we have a department manager, a manager of UK support ( used to be the same role ), team leaders (x3) and 3 product teams each with a "Queue manager" that adds up to a ratio of 3 engineers to each manager. Training does not exist ( unless you want to buy a book and read it at home as you won’t be allowed time in the office ).

New products are added to the mix and its assumed that we can pick it up on the fly without any real training outside of "overview" We have a Utimaco/DP team who are on wikipedia to find out about certificates and a Astaro/Gateway team who have had NO TRAINING in the product and are fielding calls. Morale is rock bottom and alot of the support dept are reaching for the lifeboats as there is a pretty large dose of interflu doing the rounds :S

The managers have a policy of "managing out of the business" people they don’t like and the dept manager has already said she “does not have the people she wants and does not want the people she has" This year we have multiple people of disciplinarys and at least mental breakdown in the dept with constant micro management of anyone deemed to be “off message”

Told that support functions are going to gradually be moved to the Philippians weekend cover….alot of speculation on where that is going.

This could be such a cool company, loads of great tech and some very gifted people… it’s a shame to see them wasted like this.

Advice to Senior Management – Get rid of the middle management in support, invest in training.. trust your employees to do the job they were hired for without assuming that they are time wasting/stealing or whatever

Has gone downhill

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work and the technology is interesting, my immediate managers are friendly, helpful and understanding. There is a good work life balance. The people are pleasant to work with.

Cons

The new CEO has made Sophos a much less nice place to work. There has been a round of redundancies for no good reason. A number of people I know have left for better jobs elsewhere and the general feeling among us left behind is that we should do the same. The rate of pay is 10-20% below what it should be and it looks like pay rises have been put on hold.

Recruiting Kris was a mistake. He only knows how to cut costs, not grow the business. You need to conduct an anonymous survey of morale an fix the problems you find.

There are newer employer reviews for Sophos