Sotera Defense Solutions

www.soteradefense.com
  www.soteradefense.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sotera Defense Solutions

Good People, but serious contract problems right now

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Chantilly, VA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Sotera Defense Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of great people to work with, but many had to be furloughed and/or laid off. Glad to see we got a new CEO who values people.

Cons

Very dependent on DoD work. They are trying to be a PRIME on new contracts, and their subcontracts are not getting renewed.

Capture some new work before everyone leaves. Please manage the customer better so we're not the first subcontractor to get cut.

47 Other Employee Reviews for Sotera Defense Solutions (View Most Recent)

The people were nice and the company was in a growth phase...

I have been working at Sotera Defense Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Enjoyed the people and the excitement of future growth and a major contract win. Seemed like a good company to me, but wasn't there long due to family reasons. I'd probably be working there otherwise, but with the recent comments I wonder what happened to Sotera other than sequestration... =\

Cons

Usual work politics - same as every company - nothing of note for them. Never really had much of a problem with them during my time there...

Management was doing it's job getting business and representing the company well so would say to continue doing a good job.

Company does not save for "bench time". You will be let go if your contract ends.

Current Employee - Programmer
    Current Employee - Programmer

I have been working at Sotera Defense Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This was once a fairly decent company to work for.

Cons

After almost 4 years of working hard for this company, I (and 240 other people) were furloughed without pay. Not because of the Gov shutdown but because the company lost a bunch of contracts all at once. So 240 people are forced to burn their vacation while on furlough. Well done.

When our vacation time is exhausted, we get ZERO pay and must start paying the company directly for our medical/dental premiums or we lose our coverage. Very Nice.

We were always told there was a "bench" for us when contracts ended. After almost 4 years of service I would have thought they would have put a little of that "Government Markup" aside for bench time. At least 30 days worth anyway. Not so. They will probably lose 80-90% of these 240 people as they are now forced to find other jobs.

I guess the 240 people furloughed without pay are lucky. They fired a bunch a people the day before the furloughs occurred.

What can one say? Your existing employees will no longer trust the company after this and are probably looking for new jobs with stronger companies before they are furloughed or fired.

There are newer employer reviews for Sotera Defense Solutions

Worked for Sotera Defense Solutions? Contribute to the Community!