Sotera Defense Solutions

www.soteradefense.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Sotera Defense Solutions

Losing lots of contracts and massive layoffs

Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Reston, VA
Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Reston, VA

I have been working at Sotera Defense Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company benefits are equivalent to similar companies.
Trying to get into different areas of the IC.
New I&A President is competent and responds well to employee concerns.
New CEO is a breath of fresh air.
Human Resources and BD team are very approachable and friendly.
Great flexibility in regards to work scheduling.

Cons

No opportunities to grow. Not exaggerating. A lot of this has to do with the market, but more of it has to do with corporate management's choices of where to try for prime and which contracts to propose....AND THEY ARE NOT WINNING ANYTHING. Yikes!

There is very much a buddy-buddy club and you have to be on the "inside" to receive credit or promotions. One of the Senior Directors even calls his favorite project managers (who are women) "Dean's Angels." Furthermore, there is no mechanism to provide feedback on leadership. Several employees have approached senior leadership about issues and nothing happens.

Several of my friends who were laid off received NO SEVERANCE. Not a dime. Even though they worked for the company for years. Also, there is no "beach." If your contract ends or there is any other issue, they don't float you for a couple weeks. Also heard horror stories about furloughed employees.

Bottom line is they don't have any money. There was even a Washington Post article about how the lenders filed a complaint against the company because it couldn't service its debts. I'm worried and looking for other employment.

Save money! Listen to the lower level employees. Break up the Old Boy/Girl network.

71 Other Employee Reviews for Sotera Defense Solutions (View Most Recent)

Buying up Staffing Companies and then getting away from that business is in a word, STUPID

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at Sotera Defense Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pay on time, if you love internecine internal office politics this is the place for you, lots of old guys in suits

Cons

No Beach, Massive Layoffs, No rhyme or reason behind layoffs, cutting meat not fat, will never be able to get back the employees they laid off unnecessarily, Misguided push to Prime everything turns off existing partners

Learn to be a partner instead of just an adversary. Your push to prime where you were subs now means you are just like everyone else, disposable and subject to the fickle whims of government COTRs

It was a good experience with a good company

Former Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Herndon, VA

I worked at Sotera Defense Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay was competitive / good for our region, benefits were good, let me do my work and did not micromanage, great PTO benefit, management was good and responsive. Small enough to help you one on one.

Cons

HR department needs to talk to employees more - confused me on health benefit and I missed sign up period, had to resubmit my pay voucher 3 times before I got paid. Typical defense contractor - once contract up you are out of a job. In my field, analyst, there was no advancement - just a contract employee and when the contract is over, so are you.

Doing good, but help employees when contract ends - that is why I left

There are newer employer reviews for Sotera Defense Solutions