Great place to work

Former Intern - Editorial Intern
Former Intern - Editorial Intern

I worked at Sourcebooks as an intern

Pros

Everyone is amazing and helpful. Work is motivated by strong company morale

Cons

In the middle of nowhere

Other Employee Reviews for Sourcebooks

1. Great company with tons of growth opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Sourcebooks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best place I've ever worked. Here's some of what I like: - Innovative company - Great team environment - Passionate people - Interesting projects - Small company so you can make an impact - Chances to develop your own "career" - Clear and transparent company goals Having worked for a number other companies, I just wanted to say how refreshing it is to have a company that speaks to its employees, and asks for feedback, and then makes changes. This dialogue isn't typical and I really appreciate it. For example, we have a meeting every couple of months to talk about how the company is doing, what we're all working on together and the accomplishments we've had (it's called Breakthrough). You can see the opportunities we've created for ourselves and the plans we have for where we want to go in the future.

Cons

There is a lot of change in the book industry now, which means constant change trying to keep up with new processes, books, programs, departments, etc. This can be a little overwhelming for a new-hire, but you get used to going with the flow as you become more familiar with your position and working with your team.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the communication and the commitment.

Really, the best place you've ever worked?

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Naperville, IL

I worked at Sourcebooks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are good opportunities for building your portfolio and you get to touch a lot of things. They are a growing company and are working on expanding their company. They have good health insurance. Depending on your position its a lower stress environment.

Cons

They pay you next to nothing and expect you to work 40+ hours without overtime pay. I had to work two jobs just to live on my own. I was constantly micro-managed and told that if i needed to work a few extra hours after work to get a job done that was perfectly fine. I'm sure that was perfectly fine for the upper management who would work when they felt like it. Half the time I couldn't even get ahold of my manager when I needed to because they didn't respond to email and was rarely in their office so I would constantly get yelled at for things not being done and when I did do something without their blessing I would also get yelled at so it was no win situation. Along with all that the turnover rate is insane. In my first year over 20 people left. The next few years it was higher. In just the month that I left over 10 people left the company. Many found better pay and others decided freelancing would pay them better than Sourcebooks. Lastly, anyone who says its the best place to work was clearly asked by the company to put up that review in order to bring up their ratings.

Advice to Management

If you are going to put your company in a town with an average household income of 6 figures you should learn how to pay your employees what they deserve. With all the growth and opportunities you talk about you should be able to make your employees feel valued and not like work horses.