South Carolina Department of Health

Department Health and Environmental Control Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer II in Columbia, SC
Current Employee - Environmental Engineer II in Columbia, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health

Pros

Excellent Benefits
15 Paid Days off
15 Sick Days
10 Paid Holidays
Willing to Train and Send Employees to Conferences
Telecommuting
Alternate Work Schedule
Not required to work pass scheduled work hours

Cons

No raises every year
Advancement is limited
Lower salaries

It cost the agency money every year to train newly hired employees. Management should make an effort to compensate experienced staff so they will not lose employees to industry.

9 Other Employee Reviews for South Carolina Department of Health (View Most Recent)

DHEC Jobs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at South Carolina Department of Health

Pros

The benefits package for working for the state or DHEC is good. You get very good health care and time off even thought you have to acquire month by month.

Cons

The pay, and the 1% pay increase for cost of living
    Management sometimes doesn't tell you how you are doing, so it pays to ask on regular basis

Theire are some good bosses at DHEC, and their are some bad ones. The key is finding one that will work with you and allow you to grow

This agency needs help from the lowest level jobs looking upward!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Columbia, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health

Pros

For me, it's close to where I live . It is a state agency, which is historically a good place to work because of the benefits that used to be assured. But, because of budgetary problems, those benefits or the promises that used to be here are not here and are eroding every year.

Cons

Extreme amount of favoritism in hiring and promotions, in my view. Nothing is done when people don't do their jobs. Jobs are being "dumbed" down. It's really very sad. From my perspecitve, management has been here a long time, they turn their head to blatant incompetencies. They promote people that don't and won't make waves. It's pretty funny to see how things work around here. We have people that are "Directors" but have no staff??? We have people who don't have anything to do because in the past - they either wouldn't do their job, did the job poorly or half way, or did it so slow that management gave their job to someone else - but, they don't want to fire anyone because that does take a lot of work to get through the red tape!!!

Get a back bone! We do have a lot of very capable employees that can and will do the job when the favs don't, won't or can't. Also, when you are able to retire age wise - leave - too many just sit and sleep. We actually have several staff who only walk up and down the halls to get coffee - all day long - I'm serious!! No one knows what they do, no one ever sees them do anything, go anywhere or have any meetings - even people in their own divisions!!

There are newer employer reviews for South Carolina Department of Health