There are newer employer reviews for South Carolina Department of Health

This agency needs help from the lowest level jobs looking upward!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Columbia, SC
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Columbia, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health

Pros

For me, it's close to where I live . It is a state agency, which is historically a good place to work because of the benefits that used to be assured. But, because of budgetary problems, those benefits or the promises that used to be here are not here and are eroding every year.

Cons

Extreme amount of favoritism in hiring and promotions, in my view. Nothing is done when people don't do their jobs. Jobs are being "dumbed" down. It's really very sad. From my perspecitve, management has been here a long time, they turn their head to blatant incompetencies. They promote people that don't and won't make waves. It's pretty funny to see how things work around here. We have people that are "Directors" but have no staff??? We have people who don't have anything to do because in the past - they either wouldn't do their job, did the job poorly or half way, or did it so slow that management gave their job to someone else - but, they don't want to fire anyone because that does take a lot of work to get through the red tape!!!

Get a back bone! We do have a lot of very capable employees that can and will do the job when the favs don't, won't or can't. Also, when you are able to retire age wise - leave - too many just sit and sleep. We actually have several staff who only walk up and down the halls to get coffee - all day long - I'm serious!! No one knows what they do, no one ever sees them do anything, go anywhere or have any meetings - even people in their own divisions!!

reviews filtered by

The Dept. of Mental Health is underfunded and not a positive place to work.

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Columbia, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health

Pros

You have a lot of holidays. You accumulate vacation days and sick days. It's never a problem taking off for family or personal matters.

Cons

There are very few positions that would not be considered a dead-end job. There are no pay increases. Everyone gets the same rating no matter if the employee works his tale off or if he hides in his office all day.

Make staff more accountable. Do something to improve morale. Management by fear is not a good concept.

2. Very Few Opportunities for Advancement

Current Employee - Nutritionist II
    Current Employee - Nutritionist II

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping people in need makes it all worth it. You can leave the job at work and not take it home with you. If you are not in it for the money, this is a great place to work.

Cons

Didn't see a raise in 4 years and the pay wasn't very good to start with. There is virtually no room for advancement.

Pay more money and give raises more often. At least meet with the cost of living increases.

There are newer employer reviews for South Carolina Department of Health