South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust

www.slam.nhs.uk

Great place to learn from world leaders in their fields.

Assistant Psychologist (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIn my area, my supervisors have been exceptionally knowledgeable and generous with sharing their knowledge. They have gone above and beyond to help me improve and develop in a way I have never experienced previously. The clear career pathways and strict criteria for interview and promotion within clinical roles in the NHS appears to largely remove many of the reasons for intra-organisational politics. After a career in the private sector, it has been refreshing and makes up for not being provided with free hot beverages a thousand times over!

ConsFacilities are minimal and there is little reward beyond personal growth and satisfaction for the difficult jobs people do. There are no Christmas bonuses and there are no opportunities to jump pay bands within a job title. In short, the pay is pretty poor considering how hard people work and how educated they are. I would love to see how many people in the private sector would begrudge NHS staff their pension if they spent just one day doing some of the jobs we do. Yet, that one bonus, that one reward for often thankless work is disappearing too. To save money, our particular trust is trying to consolidate its property portfolio which means there is less and less space available for people to work. As a result, our building is full beyond capacity such that I haven't even been allocated a permanent desk in the 9 months I have been in my current role and all my stuff is in a cardboard box. In summary, the pay is rubbish and the office facilities are awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of trying to save money by cutting frontline staff who do the jobs that patients need the NHS to do, look at efficiency savings. For example, it takes between 5 and 40 minutes for us to log into our computers in the morning. That's the amount of time it takes to write case notes, read a patients history or almost a whole therapy session, yet we are stuck staring at a computer screen paralysed because almost everything is computerised these days. The NHS is a complicated animal and deciding where to make cost savings is incredibly difficult, but cutting front line staff should be the last option, not the first. Especially in the face or substandard IT systems.

Disorganised Management

I have been working at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Pay, benefits. The NHS has good job security. Cons: Senior Management. As in any large organisation, the ones who rise to the top… Advice to Senior Management: This is a mental health organisation, please treat employees with… More

Great job, a lot of staff should be sacked though!

Assistant Centre Coordinator (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

I have been working at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: Brilliant variety of mental health work in one of the… Cons: A lot of staff are totally incompetent, lazy and rude… Advice to Senior Management: Train managers to be more assertive with their reports and get… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust.

Worked for South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust? Contribute to the Community!