Southern Arizona VA Health Care System

www.tucson.va.gov
  www.tucson.va.gov
There are newer employer reviews for Southern Arizona VA Health Care System

Huge bureaucracy, but amazing benefits and pay that can not be beat!

Former Employee - Student Nurse Technician in Tucson, AZ
Former Employee - Student Nurse Technician in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Southern Arizona VA Health Care System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits and pay are better than any other hospital in Tucson by far. It's basically impossible to be fired from this hospital and they give you automatic raises every two years.

Cons

Nurses and CNAs are severely understaffed. The morale in the hospital is extremely low because of this and there is a high level of turn over in management.

4 Other Employee Reviews for Southern Arizona VA Health Care System (View Most Recent)

Good for nursing students

Former Employee - Student Nurse Technician
    Former Employee - Student Nurse Technician

I worked at Southern Arizona VA Health Care System as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Completely flexible schedule, good experience for resume, better pay than regular CNA jobs. Good opportunity for students in nursing school to get experience and pay bills.

Cons

Place is has quite a few gold brickers. Hospital is older, small rooms, no benefits for SNTs.

Really needs a big change in management to clear out the dead weight and inspire workers.

Positive Experience with SAVAHCS

Former Employee - Nutrition, Health, and Wellness Workstudy in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Nutrition, Health, and Wellness Workstudy in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Southern Arizona VA Health Care System as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The position was a work study position that I "created" by seeking out dietetic leadership with in the SAVAHCS. I worked under the Food Services Director and she helped form connections with other RDs throughout the hospital and I completed several rotations from renal, diabetic, preventive, and nutrition counseling for in-pts.

Cons

For an individual who is not autonomous, this position would not be a good fit. I consistently sought out projects because my supervisor was not proactive about giving me work.

Be more organized.