Southern California Edison

There are newer employer reviews for Southern California Edison

Good Company but Slow and Government Related

Former Employee - Industrial Engineering Intern in Pomona, CA
Former Employee - Industrial Engineering Intern in Pomona, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They value family time and will always advocate spending time with your family. There are lots of holidays and coworkers all seem to understand that life isn't about work.

Cons

Lots of older employees, slow work pace, not a lot of dynamic movement within the company.

Hire some younger people because the majority of employees are baby boomers who are going to be retiring soon.

393 Other Employee Reviews for Southern California Edison (View Most Recent)

system analyst

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Irwindale, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

easy job, less work, free time

Cons

a bad boss will screw you up

a bad boss will screw you up, so management have to get rid of bad manager.

Stable Company. Weak/Soft Culture with no innovation.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As most others have mentioned, the compensation and benefits package is one of the best around. 401k matching dollar for dollar up to 6%, pension plan, average health benefits. $400 to spend on health/fitness, $5,250/year for tuition reimbursement for university-led courses. This is probably why people stay here for 30, 35, 40, even 45 years! Work/Life balance is decent. No 80 hour weeks here, if someone says they do, it's because they're slow, inefficient, or scared of being fired so they go around touting how many hours they "work" when in reality it's just seat time. Anyways, the people are nice, and for the most part genuinely care for each other. That's about it.

Cons

Where to start? First, because you have 30 year SCE-lifers around, they don't want to change. They don't want young people to "rock the boat". Too much of "hey, here's a problem mr Project manager, good luck." No collaboration, very little teamwork. Everyone sticks to 40 hours/week, and their own AOR. I welcome the staff reductions forthcoming (roughly 35%!) Which is needed. Let the lifers retire in peace, get rid of non-performers. I have "peers" who come in at 9am and leave at 3:15pm. People working remote on Fridays and Mondays, come on. Get rid of them! I don't claim to work obscene hours. I work 40-45 hours a week, get my work done, and done well. But I've only been here 3 years, so there can't be any possible way I'm better than someone who has been in the same position for 20 years right? wrong! This company values tenure/loyalty way too much. Promote/hire based on performance and who will be the BEST in that position. SCE values 80% tenure and 20% performance/experience. Should be the other way around. Too many old leaders.

If you want to innovate and not be obsolete, recognize the young leaders with potential, develop and RETAIN them. Explicitly encourage innovation and creativity. Discourage selfishness and the unwillingness to change. Flatten the organization and make people retire or get rid of them. There is toxic (read: lazy) people all over this 20,000-employee organization and they need to be cleaned out before solar rooftops take over. Make this a company YOUNG people WANT to join. A company they want to grow and develop to stay ahead of the technology curve and please for the love of humanity, get rid of Lotus Notes. Why?! Who else on this green earth uses Lotus Notes vs Microsoft Outlook. You'd increase 20% in efficiency by switching that alone. You're welcome.

Sincerely,
    A high-performing Project Manager you'll never "recognize" and who will move on to a more collaborative organization able to utilize my leadership potential.

There are newer employer reviews for Southern California Edison