There are newer employer reviews for Southern California Edison

Great place to work - need to get rid of senior management

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Senior management seems to lack ethical behavior

Advice to Management

Time to retire

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Excellent company with great pay, benefits, and good management.

Former Employee - Technical Specialist IV in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist IV in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

While I would not call it a family oriented organization, the management I worked with was always respectful and treated their employees well. The pay was excellent for the work required, as were the benefits. The work can be very rewarding, and I thoroughly enjoyed my job.

My supervision only accepted work done right and was always striving to excel in the industry. Always willing to listen and take action where warranted, management conveyed a sense of trust, at least in the engineering department where I spent my most recent time.

Cons

As a large company, the family feel that used to be the rule in SCE is no longer there. EIX (the parent company of SCE) is a business first. Since the electrical power production industry no longer guarantees that the utility will make a profit, that is probably necessary. However, if the worker isn't fortunate enough to get a good supervisor (not all are stellar) then SCE can become very impersonal. Sometimes there can be a riff between management and represented personnel, but overall I found the company willing to work with its employees.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to your supervisors and management to ensure they are representing the company with the values that are presented to every employee. The fact that a supervisor has worked for the company for many years doesn't necessarily make them a good supervisor or manager. Promote those that deserve it and show the leadership skills desired in a good supervisor or manager.

2. Overall a good place to work

Former Employee - Project Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The salary and benefits are very good. Most of the managers want to see you do well and be successful in your job. There are many processes in place that allow for a healthy check and balance of the work place. Generally, most people are friendly and helpful.

Cons

There is a lot of red tape. It is very difficult to get approval and then you get dinged for taking too long to get approvals. Although there are budgets for personal development there isn't any time, so you end up not taking advantage of it because management doesn't work with you to make it happen.

Advice to Management

Upper management may want to think about adopting a company wide management style or philosophy. There would be happier employees if there was company wide consistency. Generally it is a very good company except for those pockets that bring everyone down.