Southern California Edison

www.sce.com
  www.sce.com
There are newer employer reviews for Southern California Edison

great company, encourage others to apply

I worked at Southern California Edison

Pros

excellent benefits and salary, great co-workers

Cons

was let go due to technology

wish you could have placed everyone who was let go due to new electronic meters

393 Other Employee Reviews for Southern California Edison (View Most Recent)

Nepotism, cronyism, backstabbing fun!

Former Employee - Financial Analyst III in Irwindale, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst III in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits with educational reimbursement and 401k match. Encourages work life balance and ergonomics. Travel reimbursement is helpful.

Cons

Tenure is valued over actual understanding of work to be completed. Nepotism is rampant and because of this one must be careful who one aligns themselves with. IT is NOT the place to be right now. MBA's are dime a dozen and are a management necessity though 90% of people with them don't have and management skills whatsoever. SCE requires continuous improvement through education but stifles your use of learned skills. Management is completely "out of the loop" when it comes to who know how to do what. Hostile project work environments because of unrealistic deadlines and management incompetence.

You send people to school to bring back skills, use those skills. MBAs mean nothing when they have no experience. Project managers need to take responsibility for their work environments and lack of skills. End the nepotism.

Excellent company with great pay, benefits, and good management.

Former Employee - Technical Specialist IV in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist IV in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

While I would not call it a family oriented organization, the management I worked with was always respectful and treated their employees well. The pay was excellent for the work required, as were the benefits. The work can be very rewarding, and I thoroughly enjoyed my job.

My supervision only accepted work done right and was always striving to excel in the industry. Always willing to listen and take action where warranted, management conveyed a sense of trust, at least in the engineering department where I spent my most recent time.

Cons

As a large company, the family feel that used to be the rule in SCE is no longer there. EIX (the parent company of SCE) is a business first. Since the electrical power production industry no longer guarantees that the utility will make a profit, that is probably necessary. However, if the worker isn't fortunate enough to get a good supervisor (not all are stellar) then SCE can become very impersonal. Sometimes there can be a riff between management and represented personnel, but overall I found the company willing to work with its employees.

Pay closer attention to your supervisors and management to ensure they are representing the company with the values that are presented to every employee. The fact that a supervisor has worked for the company for many years doesn't necessarily make them a good supervisor or manager. Promote those that deserve it and show the leadership skills desired in a good supervisor or manager.

There are newer employer reviews for Southern California Edison