There are newer employer reviews for Southern Company

Southern Company

Current Employee - Forecasting Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Forecasting Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Southern Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Family oriented, little more lay back work environment compare to other companies; unless you are in the area of high demand.

Cons

As of 2012 there are still many older work force in the company.

113 Other Employee Reviews for Southern Company (View Most Recent)

Wonderful company to work for with great workplace environment.

Current Employee - Software Engineer Coop  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Coop in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Southern Company as an intern for more than a year

Pros

People. This is very much a "Southern Company". The people here are genuinely interested in your well-being, and treat everyone as part of a big family. I haven't met a single employee who hasn't been very happy working here. Compensation is good as far as internships go (I'm technically a coop student), and I was given the LEAD on some huge projects once they knew I could handle it. They really do respect you, and will use you to the fullest extent they believe they can. Wonderful company to be a coop trying to get some real work experience/credentials.

Cons

The only downsides to me are the fact that if you don't really fit in with the stereotypical "Southern" demographic (conservative Republican, Christian, etc.), you will be very much in the minority. As I mentioned above, they are all very respectful, but you just have to be okay with being surrounded by people who may strongly disagree with your views (many people don't do well in that situation). Also, unless you're actively aspiring to be in the power business, it will be more of a stepping stone or a place to coast until you get where you want to be, but it can be a perfect jump off point all the same.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Soco Exp

Current Employee - Engineer I  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Southern Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits, Excelent work environment, many areas to grow

Cons

Compesation is well below national average, promotions are not always merit based

There are newer employer reviews for Southern Company

Worked for Southern Company? Contribute to the Community!