Southern Folger

www.southernfolger.com
  www.southernfolger.com
There are newer employer reviews for Southern Folger

They desperately need new upper management

I worked at Southern Folger

Pros

They have a pretty good health insurance and wellness program. 401K, Life Insurance, Profit Sharing, etc. 2 weeks paid vacation.

Cons

The upper management & directors do not respect any of the employees. They tend to treat everyone, including salaried employees, like they are incapable of doing their jobs by themselves. They constantly questioned, second-guessed and scrutinized every decision anyone made and seemed to prefer that everyone just ask them what to do about every situation. They blatantly play favorites and partake in office gossip with their subordinates about other employees. They also required a ridiculous amount of needless, time-consuming paperwork and meetings. I often felt that my manager had no regard for my time and was just arbitrarily creating new tasks, reports and requirements simply out of boredom.

Respect your employees and their talents. Treat them like responsible adults and let them do their jobs without constantly having to stop and get your approval.

3 Other Employee Reviews for Southern Folger (View Most Recent)

Southern Folger Detention Equipment needs new upper management staff.

I worked at Southern Folger

Pros

Good salary and benefits are provided for exempt workers, and company gives $15 gift card for Christmas. Benefits eroding as time goes on.

Cons

Hostile Environment - Rife with Back-Stabbing and Favoritism-promotions based on becoming a yes-man. Dictatorial management style does not recognize good ideas or talent.

Upper management needs to develop a rapport with salaried employees rather than trying to manage by fear and intimidation. Educated people do not respond well to hostility.

It was very rough.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Southern Folger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They do a robust volume of work. They've been around for over 100 years.

Cons

Very dysfunctional when I worked there. Incredibly hostile. Not to mention it is in a very rough part of town. Prior to going to work there, a project manager was killed. They had a very dumbed-down militaristic management style. There way of helping people get work done was to motivate them by saying, "I think you're just making excuses." Or "You could get it done if you wanted to." The absolute worst quality of work that I have ever witnessed anywhere was at this company. It was so bad, it was stunning.

The management I worked under eventually got canned, so maybe things are better. But to the old management I would say, that it is amazing how much people will contribute, if they are in an environment where they feel safe. But brow beating people into a state of trauma usually gets you those types of results: trauma induced.

There are newer employer reviews for Southern Folger