Southern Illinois University
www.siu.edu Carbondale, IL 5000+ Employees

Great town, great school, hard times.

LAN Administrator (Current Employee)
Carbondale, IL

I have been working at Southern Illinois University full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFun college town and beautiful campus. Some fantastic instructors here and pleasant staff to work with. Excellent restaurants and strong music scene for the community size. Close enough to STL or Nashville.

ConsBudget cuts from the state have forced most departments to scale back on everything. Difficult to deliver the experience you know the students expect with limited means. Morale is still fairly high considering, but the general feeling is that more cuts are coming.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut athletics, not academics.

Advanced Clerical

Advanced Clerical (Former Employee)
Springfield, IL

I worked at Southern Illinois University as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: Nice people, easy tasks to fullfill, casual environment. Cons: I was hired on a temporary basis with promises for a more permanent opprotunity. Ended up being asked to leave early because apparently there… Advice to Senior Management: While management are kind people, I felt a high lack of professionalism on their part. They sought someone to help them in a time… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Typical Government Organization.... And all that implies.

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee)
Carbondale, IL

I have been working at Southern Illinois University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great people to work with, I've been with the university for around 4 years in different capacities, and I've always had great co-workers. Located in… Cons: Has no idea what it's doing as far as priorities. The state consistently underfunds SIUC, leaving everything in a near constant state of chaos.… Advice to Senior Management: Listen more, and take advantages of the great resources you… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Southern Illinois University.

Worked for Southern Illinois University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southern Illinois University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Southern Illinois University CEO Glenn Poshard. All reviews posted anonymously by Southern Illinois University employees.