Southern Illinois University

www.siu.edu
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Southern Illinois University

Great town, great school, hard times.

Current Employee - LAN Administrator in Carbondale, IL
Current Employee - LAN Administrator in Carbondale, IL

I have been working at Southern Illinois University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fun college town and beautiful campus. Some fantastic instructors here and pleasant staff to work with. Excellent restaurants and strong music scene for the community size. Close enough to STL or Nashville.

Cons

Budget cuts from the state have forced most departments to scale back on everything. Difficult to deliver the experience you know the students expect with limited means. Morale is still fairly high considering, but the general feeling is that more cuts are coming.

Cut athletics, not academics.

98 Other Employee Reviews for Southern Illinois University (View Most Recent)

Advanced Clerical

Former Contractor - Advanced Clerical in Springfield, IL
    Former Contractor - Advanced Clerical in Springfield, IL

I worked at Southern Illinois University as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, easy tasks to fullfill, casual environment.

Cons

I was hired on a temporary basis with promises for a more permanent opprotunity. Ended up being asked to leave early because apparently there was no more work that needed to be done. Thanks for catching us all up, but you can leave now...I understand that there were issues from the get-go because I could not learn their system since I was "temporary help", but I feel that was bad planning on their part and I got the short end of the stick

While management are kind people, I felt a high lack of professionalism on their part. They sought someone to help them in a time of need. However, they did not do the research or ask the right questions in the beginning to get the proper permision needed for all of the amenities, such as a computer, that a person may need to actually do the work needed. Instead of doing six months worth of backed up filing.

Typical Government Organization.... And all that implies.

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Carbondale, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Carbondale, IL

I have been working at Southern Illinois University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, I've been with the university for around 4 years in different capacities, and I've always had great co-workers.
    Located in a great area, if you're into the outdoors. Not much else to do outside of shopping and visiting the numerous wineries.
    Pretty flexible with scheduling. Was great to work for them as a student.

Cons

Has no idea what it's doing as far as priorities. The state consistently underfunds SIUC, leaving everything in a near constant state of chaos.
    Has decentralized IT, which is a huge hassle to deal with when working in that capacity.
    Administration doesn't listen well to students, or rank-and-file employees.

Listen more, and take advantages of the great resources you have in your students and faculty.

There are newer employer reviews for Southern Illinois University