There are newer employer reviews for Southern New Hampshire University

Adjunct Faculty COCE

I have been working at Southern New Hampshire University

Pros

This is a wonderful place to work! You are given a lot of support in your teaching endeavor, and everyone is friendly and pleasant. In addition, SNHU provides wonderful training to help prepare you for your first courses. I have been thoroughly impressed!

Cons

I do not have any "cons" at this time. Very satisfied!

47 Other Employee Reviews for Southern New Hampshire University (View Most Recent)

Worked as a full-time faculty member for the online division (COCE) and also as adjunct

I have been working at Southern New Hampshire University

Pros

Helping students succeed is always a good thing, but as is so often the case in contemporary higher education, instructors at SNHU must sacrifice their time and energy for very little compensation and no respect or support from administration.

Cons

The administration lies to faculty members. Good teaching is not valued or rewarded. Profits from the online division (COCE) are funneled back to the main campus, where new construction is constantly underway. Meanwhile, the school has reduced the already small number of full-time faculty so support for online students dwindles further.

Hire people with academic experience rather than non-academic experience. Reward good teaching.

No Loyalty

Former Employee - Faculty Facilitator in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Faculty Facilitator in Manchester, NH

I worked at Southern New Hampshire University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a dynamic company, but there is no consideration for work-life balance, and most of the leadership (few of whom have been around very long) are unsupportive of the people who do the hard work of teaching the students. The benefits were good, but the salary was very poor for the amount of our education, talent and experience compared to the work required.

Cons

SNHU Online hired 25 full-time faculty for a pilot a year ago... the pilot was very successful. The numbers for FTF were great. We were told all year long that, because of our success, the pilot would continue and they'd add more FTF. Then, out of the blue, we got a very impersonal email ending the pilot (end of benefits, end of FT status) with no explanation. They hired more FTF but only a few were from the first bunch -- no priority was provided for internal candidates -- that they previously called their "best and brightest." It was as though the administrators (several of who are new to the organization) had not even looked at the experience and success of the internal candidates. The FTF, all very committed to the success of students and the organization, worked 55-60 hour weeks, did extra projects, were invited in to train others, authored classes, and had much better evals and statistics than the general adjunct pool. The only think I can deduce is that they are paying the new FTF much less $. Even FTF who were rehired lost benefits for a couple of months in the transition. I have never been treated as poorly in any job as I was in this one.

Show some loyalty to the people who bring success to your organization. Pay your people better. Allow faculty to evaluate team leads (who often take the work of the best faculty and present it as their own ideas) and administrators. If a job ends, communicate with your employees and provide them with support and direction. A form email with no other communication was cowardly and cruel.

There are newer employer reviews for Southern New Hampshire University