Good people, disconnected management

Current Employee - Technician
Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline full-time for more than a year

Pros

401K match, benefits, support from immediate supervisor, They seem to have big future goals

Cons

I have been with the company for a couple of years now, and i have determined that accounting and lawyers seem to have final say on everything that happens with SSCGP. ESPECIALLY pay. they will nickle and dime you as far as pay and bonuses. There is no written or even understood way to advance, with managers shrugging their shoulders and saying "im not really sure how that works". It isn't their fault, senior management doesn't have anything spelled out. There are no pipeliners running the company, its administrative types which makes the whole process seem like numbers, and the human, or family sense is gone. I have been told over and over my many many other employees who have worked for 10, 20+ years for the company that this is the worst they have ever seen the company run.

Move from Kentucky to a state where the pipeline exists..... then mabye there wont be such a disconnect and this pipeline can be more successful. It is two different worlds, those in the field and those in the HQ location. Clear up the confusion many have on how to get advanced, or perform many other tasks, there seems to be a lack of direction.

Other Reviews for Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline

Southern Star has become Falling Star -

I worked at Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits and good co-workers

Cons

The power is concentrated in the hands on 3 people in the company. One of them sanctions all the decisions of the company including who a manager can or cannot hire, who gets a promotion or not, who gets what merit increase.

Improve the company direction and employee morale and engagement. Stop the brain drain. You are losing too many talents to the competition. You can replace people with 20, 30 plus years of experience with kids out of college. The natural gas is too dangerous to leave its operations to inexperience workers. It is just too dangerous.

Feel of a huge corporation in a small sized company

Current Employee - I Fix Broken Things
    Current Employee - I Fix Broken Things

Pros

- When you travel ( a lot) the lodging is nice and you eat well.
    -A lot of the perks of a huge Corporation with just a few hundred employees.
    -Work isnt the same from day-to-day in the field, you dont get bored.
    -Company vehicle (if you are a technician)

Cons

-Spread out workforce, headquarters is in Kentucky, where there is no pipeline
    -Ever- increasing feel of a central controlled workspace from KY ^ ^ ^.....
    -Union influence in the shops can cause an unfriendly atmosphere during negotiation periods.

There are newer employer reviews for Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline.

Worked for Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline? Contribute to the Community!