There are newer employer reviews for Southern Wine & Spirits

When being passionate about what you do handcuffs you to a "hamster in a wheel" career.

Current Employee - Sales
Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits

Pros

There are not too many companies where being creative can reward you. We are dealing with Bars, Restaurants and Wine/Liquor Stores...so basically we sell entertainment. Deciphering what makes a certain product sell and capitalizing on it can be very addictive, fulfilling and can lead to advancement. Lots of young people in this industry that are simply fun people to work with...and it's not difficult to figure out why...most are all ex-bartenders, ex-resort employees, ex-servers. But don't get me wrong-- the people who make it in this industry are not only good at having a good time, but better at working hard (even around the clock at times) to get the job done. Management is difficult to comment on because I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly. In my personal situation, I feel there are some that I would trust with anything (like family) and some that I would trust with my dog. Overall, I can honestly say that I wake up in the morning eager and excited to work everyday...which is what keeps me around.

Cons

It's a good'ol boys world. If they like you, you're in...if they don't like you, watch out. Men rule this industry-- not many women at the top and it's been that way for a long time. You can tell by the benefits-- while the benefits package is great there is no paid maternity leave. Demanding hours may be another reason for less women at the top...your life belongs to the company, from sun up to sun down (and after sun down because that when people are drinking). Maybe men can just leave the kids, dinner, and laundry at home...but it's a little more difficult for a woman. Company has a "further your education financial assistance program" but it's only available to "approved" individuals (and they don't just hand them out- you would have to basically beg). Advancement is quick if you are an allstar-- but the cap is just a quick once you hit a certain level...at which point, one feels like the hamster in the wheel that is just running and running and running with no where else to go.

Advice to Management

Take care of your top performers and loyal employees-- don't make them have to remind you of scheduled bonuses...beg to be paid what they are truly worth...reward them with more than just a "like always, good job" pat on the back. We all work for compensation--otherwise, nobody would work. Don't forget that most of your top employees put their families second-- they have to--that's the choice they have to make to be the best at what they do for SWS...they make that choice because they strive for advancement and a higher income to support their families better. You should want to take care of your best people... and realize that the stronger and happier your employees are, the stronger your company will be.

reviews filtered by
  1. Overnight wear house worker

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time

Pros

Great pay, plus they are always giving us all kinds of free things from booze to free luches

Cons

We have to work holidays, as well is put up with all kinds of new ideas that tend to hold us up rather then help

2. Class B Delivery Driver

Current Employee - Class B Driver in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Class B Driver in Denver, CO

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits

Pros

4 day work week! Guaranteed hours Monthly bonus A great supervisor too work under in transportation department as well as fellow drivers .

Cons

Very physically demanding ,the biggest downfall for me personally is not having my own route can be very stressful at times.

There are newer employer reviews for Southern Wine & Spirits