No Frills but Effective

Current Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally a good place to work. People are focused and work hard, generally get along. Nothing fancy in terms of working environment but it's fine.

Cons

Some inconsistencies due to being built from series of acquisitions.

Advice to Management

Lighten up a bit - do a bit more of the softer stuff for the employees, throw a picnic now and again.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Exhausting but educational.

Former Employee - Manager in Jamesburg, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Jamesburg, NJ

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a growing company with eyes towards the future. I was exposed to all aspects of warehousing during my time there, and feel that the experience I gained there has helped me understand how to balance a dedication to hard work with the importance of personal time.

Cons

This company will work you to death if you let it. Absolutely the longest hours I've ever endured. 36 hour long days with barely any breaks were common during inventories and special projects.

Advice to Management

Recognize KEY employees as the lifeblood of your company rather than disposable heros. I saw far too many good employees leave for better jobs because Upper Management viewed them simply as a "Necessary Evil".

Thought it would be better

Current Employee - Chain Territory Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Chain Territory Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Booze and outings from time to time... some incentives are easy to get... the carrot in front of your face is the opportunity to do what you want in the company, "just work as a CTM for 6 months" and transfer anywhere in the company-- easier said than done unless you know someone or are part of the good ol boy network.

Cons

The pay for territory managers is capped meaning you will need to advance to get paid anything more than dirt, starting pay for grads can be improved... tracked at all times, hassled when things arent going your bosses way. Be prepared for the monthly paperwork, elementary, remedial busywork on the computer that you have to first write out by hand, even though they give you a (antiquated) company laptop. If you are in a decent territory you can hit some incentives-- if you work your butt off... overall the cost (car, sanity, time spent in a remedial job) to benefit analysis is laughable.

Advice to Management

Better pay, better incentives, better treatment, less garbage, less "idiocracy"