Southland Industries

There are newer employer reviews for Southland Industries

Excellent Welcome!

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Union City, CA
Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Union City, CA

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I just started here at Southland and the on-boarding process has been extremely easy and welcoming. All across the business team members have been open to sharing their experiences with SI and to welcoming me to their team with open arms. Within just a few short weeks from starting I can see the deeply routed team environment and family-like culture that is expressed throughout the office, as well as, out in the field. The opportunities to grow your career internally with SI is immense. They are progressive and diverse in both their staff as well as their business vision. I am looking forward to a long and fulfilling career with SI.

Cons

Have none at this time.

21 Other Employee Reviews for Southland Industries (View Most Recent)

I could see me retiring from here. Someday :-)

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been in the industry a long time, working for both consulting engineering firms and contractors.

Previously, as a consulting engineer, I was of the impression that design build contractors would build something as cheaply as possible to maximize profits without regard for the end product.

If ever there was a place that disproves that impression, it's Southland.
    The approach here is to build smart. Of course there is an emphasis to reduce costs but cost reductions are never done at the expense of quality. Prefabrication in a controlled environment is one method that enhances quality AND reduces costs.

Southland has assembled a really good group of engineers - I've never been around a better group during my career - and every last one of them is dedicated to doing a great job. It's one of those places where you may be aware that you're not the smartest guy in the room but it's not intimidating - your opinion is valued.

Training opportunities abound - many in-house, many more sponsored by vendors with company support. Want to take an on-line class? Community college offering a class pertinent to what you do? Just ask. Chances are you will be reimbursed for it.

I feel that I am adequately paid for what I do, no complaints there. Added to that is the unbeatable 401(k) plan - 50% match, no limit! (well, except the max by the government)

Membership and participation in professional societies is encouraged, membership fees are company paid.

Team building events are regularly scheduled, you get to know your colleagues outside of the office.
    Use the grill in the courtyard whenever you want or, during summer Fridays, the interns will grill your burger for you!

*You* are the only limit to your professional growth at Southland.

Cons

The company intranet site is horrid. It's nearly impossible to find anything there - so much so that I consider it a source of last resort.

A home away from home.

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very little micro management, the responsibility to get the job done is put on the employee with the understanding that any support they need is available. Compensation/Incentive is based on merit and value to the company as opposed to purely time spent with the company which drives/rewards high achievers. A world class office atmosphere with a positive "can do" vibe where people get along and have friendships that extend beyond the workplace. Being an integrated design builder allows cross training and cross learning opportunities for all facets of building design and construction from proposal to turnover.

Cons

In the past the expectation has been to get the job done right by whatever means it takes to get it done which put strains on work life balance, but was concurrent to a record amount of work moving through the company. Over the last few years the work load has balanced out and it hasn't been such an issue but need to stay mindful to avoid the potential of burning out employees over the long term.

Stay hungry and continue to look for ways to grow and remain a trend leader. For a company of this size it seems to be rare to have leadership that is still humble and stays connected to team executing the work; continue to stay grounded and maintain connections to the people throughout the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Southland Industries