There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

I used to be proud to work for Southwest Airlines, but very poor management changed all that.

Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Nashville, TN
Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwest Airlines

Pros

The best and only benefit was the free flights. This only applies if your single and you don't mind riding 3rd which I did not mind at all.If you are trying to fly with your family you better have a plan B,C,and a car rental on stand by.

Cons

At Nashville there was not enough open carts for the offload drivers, and where taken by others all the time.I got off my tug after my flight to get my next flight info. which took all of 4 minutes only to see my sup. given my carts away as my next flight was already on the ground. 87 transfer bags were put on a old narrow cart making it very unsafe, unstable, and had to be for the most part completely offloaded, reloaded at each transfer gate with no help at all. Management did make and waste the time in writing me up because some bags missed there connection.What a joke it was. Great job on there part for placing the blame on someone else. Don't make the same mistake I did and tell them you have medical issues and your a diabetic covered under the FMLA laws that are supposed to protect you. They will use that information to terminate you as well.

Advice to Management

After 8.5 years at Southwest I realize that SWA had given me a great chance,only to have POOR, Vindictive, Hateful management take it all away.I don't care what the cost is I personally will never fly, or recommend SWA to anyone at any time Ever. I ones was so proud to be a part of SWA,now I'm ashamed . There is no LUV anymore.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good Financial Stability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Well what can i say? Nice company to work for. Good financial stability - the company won't be going under anytime soon. Good job perks

Cons

Rude customers - but whatever airline you works for you are going to get those few who find it necessary to make a big deal out of everything!!

Pretty awesome

Current Employee - Customer Support and Service in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Support and Service in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Good environment, very positive culture. Employees brag about how long they've worked there, rather be ashamed. Ample opportunity for advancement if motivated/inclined good benefits union positions in a "right to work" state ensures good treatment of employees.

Cons

mandatory overtime, feeling lost in the crowd. starting pay is fairly low, but after time becomes much better than other similar positions.

Advice to Management

find more ways to keep existing employees motivated, several employees view their sick leave as entitlement to take off when they aren't sick. The culture is very friendly, but sometimes seems stagnant regarding performance. Also realize that the employees are human, 60+ hour work weeks are rough on a person, as they are on a budget. Better staffing forcasting/hiring practices could be a win-win for the company and the employees.