Southwest Airlines
www.southwest.com Dallas, TX 5000+ Employees

Sweatshop mentality by local management is encouraged by HDQ

Customer Care Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

ProsCompared to other call centers, SWA is a notch above because they have a union that enforces some guidelines for how workers are treated.
Return customers are used to communicating with friendly, knowledgeable people when they call and do not start the interaction with negative expectation.

ConsCall center leaders are constantly trying to get around the guidelines about evaluations and rules. It is almost always necessary to include a union rep when meeting with a team leader. They pretend ignorance of the union agreement and are encouraged to do so by call center management and leaders in Dallas. The result is an adversarial relationship with a "leader" who is supposedly there to encourage and train reps. The customers who call are often difficult and sometimes demeaning, so it is discouraging not to be supported by those we should be able to expect to be helpful. They add stress to our day instead of the opposite.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some real training in management principles outside of SWA insider training. There is no reason to create an American sweatshop out of what used to be one of the best customer service organizations in this country. SWA hires the people with the best attitude profile they can find, but their management style brings this asset to a grinding halt with policies that result in "learned helplessness" instead of enabling them to be effective employees.

Interesting and am embracing it

Customer Care Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros: Free unlimited flights for you and your immediate family...one 3 day weekend each month. Shift bids… Cons: Lower entry rate of pay, no desks assignment...you may change your desk everyday..altho that would be nice for some reps probably...but you can't be assured… Advice to Senior Management: Keep making employees feel like family. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

So far so good.

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros: Great opportunities to move up with the company. Great benefits,… Cons: Some of the work can be somewhat physically demanding. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Southwest Airlines.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southwest Airlines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Southwest Airlines CEO Gary C. Kelly. All reviews posted anonymously by Southwest Airlines employees.