There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

Exactly as you read about!

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Up to the early 2000s, the culture was nothing short of amazing! As Herb and Colleen transitioned away from the company, the heart and soul went with them.

Cons

Pay is low for comparable corporate positions

449 Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Airlines (View Most Recent)

A great place to work

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Your co workers, southwest truly does have remarkable people who work there. Everyone in my department is like extended family.

Cons

reservations has become more about quantity vs. quality its all about how many calls you can complete and selling products to customers vs helping them with what their problem is.
    Also reservations is the MOST micro managed department ever. someone is always over your shoulder babysitting you like you are a little kid.

This is not pre school we are all capable adults who know how to do our job. Please treat me as such

FUN work environment with great colleagues. Very fast paced airline with stressful situations sometimes, but worth it!

Current Employee - Flight Attendant
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Compensation, benefits, flying privileges, flexibility, treated very well by local level management.

Cons

Upper Management has changed over the last few years, and not for the better.

Southwest was founded on the principle of treating their employees as their number one asset. Herb Kelleher (the founder) always said that the Employees are the number one customer, then the customers, and then the shareholders. And this ideology has made Southwest successful. But Southwest as of late has changed. Management no longer focuses on the "NUMBER ONE CUSTOMER" but rather focuses on how to lower costs, even if it means outsourcing employees for the first time in our existence. We feel like we are no longer an asset, but rather a liability. Since the acquisition of AirTran, we seem to be taking on their policies and dismal way AirTran treated their employees. We are Southwest, not AirTran. Management needs to focus on integrating AirTran into the Southwest philosophy and way of doing things right, rather than the other way around. We are the most successful airline in the world at Southwest. Lets do things the Southwest Way and treat your employees like assets once again.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!