There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

Great Fun

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you love to travel, wear shorts and tennis shoes and have fun while your working??? Then this might be the right company for you?! 17 year employee who met incredible people and traveled All the time!!!

Cons

Can be stressful and the airport never closes! May have to work major holidays.

Keep up the good work!

473 Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Airlines (View Most Recent)

FUN work environment with great colleagues. Very fast paced airline with stressful situations sometimes, but worth it!

Current Employee - Flight Attendant
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation, benefits, flying privileges, flexibility, treated very well by local level management.

Cons

Upper Management has changed over the last few years, and not for the better.

Southwest was founded on the principle of treating their employees as their number one asset. Herb Kelleher (the founder) always said that the Employees are the number one customer, then the customers, and then the shareholders. And this ideology has made Southwest successful. But Southwest as of late has changed. Management no longer focuses on the "NUMBER ONE CUSTOMER" but rather focuses on how to lower costs, even if it means outsourcing employees for the first time in our existence. We feel like we are no longer an asset, but rather a liability. Since the acquisition of AirTran, we seem to be taking on their policies and dismal way AirTran treated their employees. We are Southwest, not AirTran. Management needs to focus on integrating AirTran into the Southwest philosophy and way of doing things right, rather than the other way around. We are the most successful airline in the world at Southwest. Lets do things the Southwest Way and treat your employees like assets once again.

Not all it's cracked up to be

Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flight benefits
    Health insurance
    Being outdoors
    You can work as much as you want to(OT, shift pick-ups)
    Regular incremental hourly wages

Cons

Very political
    There are some very lazy workers
    Leadership seems disillusioned and aloof

Find a different line of work? There are some hard workind, dedicated people who try to make things better for everone. With the kind of bait-n-switch politics and the other BS managerial tactics that have to be dealt with, it makes things impossible to deal with and very uninviting.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines