There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

Best Company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I do have to say that most of what is written about Southwest is true. They do try to put their People first, are Safety conscience in everything they do, and don't take any decisions that impact their Employees or Customers lightly.

Cons

There are times, as I'm sure there are at most Company's, where upper management doesn't consult the subject matter experts directly before making a decision that is clearly not the best, and has to be undone later. They have gotten more into a mode of you have to provide they details to your boss, who has to convey it to their boss, who has to be able to answer all the tough questions for which they are not thoroughly prepared. That can become frustrating at times.

Be sure to include the subject experts when making important decisions, and don't expect your direct reports to know it all. That's why it is a Team effort!

457 Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Airlines (View Most Recent)

Excellent work environment, salary and benefits

Current Employee - Operations Agent  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Operations Agent in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Share a wonderful bond with your co-workers
    -Salary and benefits are among the best in the airline industry
    -Free travel on southwest and huge discounts on other airlines
    -company culture that has been legendary in the airline industry

Cons

-long hours, tough schedule for the first couple of 5-7 years.
    -Relationship between the frontline and executive employees have dropped dramatically since the air tran buyout.

Stop worrying so much about numbers and worry more about employee morale. If your employees are happy, then they will be determined to want to do their job to the best of their abilities. Therefore, the numbers will improve,

Low paying job with high paying benefits

Current Employee - Ramp Agent  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Union contracted, awesome benefits, free flights, feels like a family. Get to work with aircraft and get to work outside (this can also be a con, but I consider it a pro).

Cons

Low pay. Some co-workers are non-performers and you tend to pick up others slack to get the job done. Middle management does their best to their ability, Senior management needs improvement. They don't have a clue what goes on beneath them I fear.

Put on a safety vest and some ear plugs once in a while, go outside, and get to really know who works under you.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!