Southwest Airlines

www.southwest.com

Fantastic Company to work for. Great corporate culture and wonderful colleagues.

Former Employee - Internship  in  Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Internship in Dallas, TX

Pros

Can Travel for free which is a great benefit. The people that work there are also extremely kind and are great people to see every day. They hold events weekly which really help boost company morale and company drive. Having the ability to travel to a new city every weekend is as good as it sounds and I would recommend this company for anyone who likes to travel around.

Cons

It's in Dallas which is not a city I like so much. The congestion matched with the ridiculous heat make for a odd summer. Being from this east coast, I thought that I knew what traffic was. Dallas redefines that. However, the food there is quite good and there are 10000000 burger places to choose from.

Other reviews for Southwest Airlines

Good and Bad experience on both ramp and inflight LAS/PHX/OAK

Former Employee - Ramp Agent Then Flight Attendant  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Ramp Agent Then Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Worked for SWA for 2 years. Loved the free flights and the pay was reasonable, the work kept me fit and I saw lots of the country. I'm also a private pilot and I love being around airplanes anyway. My husband and I flew to the UK twice in two months as we only had to pay the taxes. ($75 each) The ability to fly anywhere (albeit space available) was the most valuable thing to me. I used it very often; might feel like lunch in Oakland or dinner in San Diego or go visit the zoo, it was like catching a bus. The opportunities to advance were certainly there. I moved from the ramp to Inflight (flight attendant) within 14 months. Pay went up dramatically, afforded more opportunities.

Cons

Bullies on the ramp and in the air, backstabbing, you could never really tell who was your friend. On the ramp I was physically assaulted by a work colleague, threatened by another and yet management chose to ignore it. Filed an IR each time and was told "just stay out of his way" Lots of dead wood, folks who shouldn't be there and don't want to work. Newbies get worked hard, put on gates with the undesirables and the mandatory overtime was awful. Cargo was also not treated well; "Caution live fish" or "Fragile" meant dump it off the baggage loader upside down. Inflight was better in certain ways, but if you are stuck with the crew from hell, those three days are miserable. Also an FA can be away from home 4 nights out of each week, that was too much for me. Got tired of reheated hotel food, string cheese and ramen noodles. Late arrivals in New Hampshire in winter while waiting for the crew bus which was invariably late was never fun. But my main issue was the mistrust between employees. They say "talk it out, don't write it up" but watch out for your supposed best buddy. They might just be filing a report on you.

Listen to some of the new employees. they could tell you things that you may not be aware of. Take complaints seriously, address the issues and don't be afraid of some of the union members who knew that had power and wielded it.

employee culture is fun and welcoming, one of the best parts of working at HQ

Pros

Free airfare, the employee culture, employee events.

Cons

The pay was not particularly high for full time employees.

I only had positive experiences with my management team.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!