There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

Fantastic Company to work for. Great corporate culture and wonderful colleagues.

Former Employee - Internship in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Internship in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can Travel for free which is a great benefit. The people that work there are also extremely kind and are great people to see every day. They hold events weekly which really help boost company morale and company drive. Having the ability to travel to a new city every weekend is as good as it sounds and I would recommend this company for anyone who likes to travel around.

Cons

It's in Dallas which is not a city I like so much. The congestion matched with the ridiculous heat make for a odd summer. Being from this east coast, I thought that I knew what traffic was. Dallas redefines that. However, the food there is quite good and there are 10000000 burger places to choose from.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Proud to be apart of the SWA Team for over 11 years

Current Employee - Operations Agent in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun LUV-ing attitude, be yourself, flexibilty, excellent compensation both in pay and retirement. Ability to move about the company (country). Growth options in many departments and fields from within. Excellent flight & travel benefits. HDQ host several career and developmental classes in Dallas. Could not imagine leaving this company. If you are very focused, determined and diligent, you can retire from here very well.

Cons

When in 'Agent positions' (Union positions), incentives for excellent work are lacking as normal for union positions. Granted, most all positions are very well compensated, but incentive to strive to be the best is low. Some of the people in Mid-level leadership could work on rewarding people on doing a great job instead of over analyzing every detail when something is incomplete. Mind you, that is not everyone. Everyone needs to step it up on all levels to aknowledge when people go above and beyond like so many do. Honestly, there isn't really any CONs in my book.

Advice to Management

Please continue to reward and encourage people to do their best. Trust your people (all levels). I highly suggest offering a basic financial class such as Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace. I truly believe if/when people took control of their financial life, they would use our benefits to the fullest and truly appreciate what we have here.

Southwest Airlines Response

Mar 5, 2015 – Senior Specialist, Communications

We appreciate you sharing this feedback! We expect all Employees, both unionized and nonunionized, to take responsibility for their work and Live the Southwest Way with a Warrior Spirit, Servant’s ... More

2. CSA Customer Service Agent Hard work and fun!

Former Employee - CSA Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - CSA Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I thought there were many good things about working at Southwest. I was only there 6 months, the 401k was great, pass benefits, and health benefits.

Cons

I read about backstabbing on here in some of the other reviews. That is interesting because I worked there over 20 years ago and that was the case back then. When you start out and you are the junior agent working a morning shift you had to stay if someone decided not to show up for work that day and it happened more than you would think that it would. You stayed until they found a replacement.