There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

Good and Bad experience on both ramp and inflight LAS/PHX/OAK

Former Employee - Ramp Agent Then Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV
Former Employee - Ramp Agent Then Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked for SWA for 2 years. Loved the free flights and the pay was reasonable, the work kept me fit and I saw lots of the country. I'm also a private pilot and I love being around airplanes anyway. My husband and I flew to the UK twice in two months as we only had to pay the taxes. ($75 each) The ability to fly anywhere (albeit space available) was the most valuable thing to me. I used it very often; might feel like lunch in Oakland or dinner in San Diego or go visit the zoo, it was like catching a bus. The opportunities to advance were certainly there. I moved from the ramp to Inflight (flight attendant) within 14 months. Pay went up dramatically, afforded more opportunities.

Cons

Bullies on the ramp and in the air, backstabbing, you could never really tell who was your friend. On the ramp I was physically assaulted by a work colleague, threatened by another and yet management chose to ignore it. Filed an IR each time and was told "just stay out of his way" Lots of dead wood, folks who shouldn't be there and don't want to work. Newbies get worked hard, put on gates with the undesirables and the mandatory overtime was awful. Cargo was also not treated well; "Caution live fish" or "Fragile" meant dump it off the baggage loader upside down. Inflight was better in certain ways, but if you are stuck with the crew from hell, those three days are miserable. Also an FA can be away from home 4 nights out of each week, that was too much for me. Got tired of reheated hotel food, string cheese and ramen noodles. Late arrivals in New Hampshire in winter while waiting for the crew bus which was invariably late was never fun. But my main issue was the mistrust between employees. They say "talk it out, don't write it up" but watch out for your supposed best buddy. They might just be filing a report on you.

Listen to some of the new employees. they could tell you things that you may not be aware of. Take complaints seriously, address the issues and don't be afraid of some of the union members who knew that had power and wielded it.

reviews filtered by
  1. employee culture is fun and welcoming, one of the best parts of working at HQ

I worked at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Free airfare, the employee culture, employee events.

Cons

The pay was not particularly high for full time employees.

I only had positive experiences with my management team.

Great work atmosphere if you are a full time employee

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great work-life balance, very festive, high number of after-work parties.

Cons

Cubicles are cramped, too many people in a small amount of space, awful parking lot

Keep treating employees well. Consider treating contractors just as well. Get more office space and build a parking garage so employees don't have to get soaked walking into the building on rainy days.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines