Southwest Airlines

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

Good and Bad experience on both ramp and inflight LAS/PHX/OAK

Former Employee - Ramp Agent Then Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV
Former Employee - Ramp Agent Then Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked for SWA for 2 years. Loved the free flights and the pay was reasonable, the work kept me fit and I saw lots of the country. I'm also a private pilot and I love being around airplanes anyway. My husband and I flew to the UK twice in two months as we only had to pay the taxes. ($75 each) The ability to fly anywhere (albeit space available) was the most valuable thing to me. I used it very often; might feel like lunch in Oakland or dinner in San Diego or go visit the zoo, it was like catching a bus. The opportunities to advance were certainly there. I moved from the ramp to Inflight (flight attendant) within 14 months. Pay went up dramatically, afforded more opportunities.

Cons

Bullies on the ramp and in the air, backstabbing, you could never really tell who was your friend. On the ramp I was physically assaulted by a work colleague, threatened by another and yet management chose to ignore it. Filed an IR each time and was told "just stay out of his way" Lots of dead wood, folks who shouldn't be there and don't want to work. Newbies get worked hard, put on gates with the undesirables and the mandatory overtime was awful. Cargo was also not treated well; "Caution live fish" or "Fragile" meant dump it off the baggage loader upside down. Inflight was better in certain ways, but if you are stuck with the crew from hell, those three days are miserable. Also an FA can be away from home 4 nights out of each week, that was too much for me. Got tired of reheated hotel food, string cheese and ramen noodles. Late arrivals in New Hampshire in winter while waiting for the crew bus which was invariably late was never fun. But my main issue was the mistrust between employees. They say "talk it out, don't write it up" but watch out for your supposed best buddy. They might just be filing a report on you.

Listen to some of the new employees. they could tell you things that you may not be aware of. Take complaints seriously, address the issues and don't be afraid of some of the union members who knew that had power and wielded it.

491 Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Airlines (View Most Recent)

Proud to be apart of the SWA Team for over 11 years

Current Employee - Operations Agent in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fun LUV-ing attitude, be yourself, flexibilty, excellent compensation both in pay and retirement. Ability to move about the company (country). Growth options in many departments and fields from within. Excellent flight & travel benefits. HDQ host several career and developmental classes in Dallas. Could not imagine leaving this company. If you are very focused, determined and diligent, you can retire from here very well.

Cons

When in 'Agent positions' (Union positions), incentives for excellent work are lacking as normal for union positions. Granted, most all positions are very well compensated, but incentive to strive to be the best is low.

Some of the people in Mid-level leadership could work on rewarding people on doing a great job instead of over analyzing every detail when something is incomplete. Mind you, that is not everyone.

Everyone needs to step it up on all levels to aknowledge when people go above and beyond like so many do.

Honestly, there isn't really any CONs in my book.

Please continue to reward and encourage people to do their best. Trust your people (all levels).

I highly suggest offering a basic financial class such as Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace. I truly believe if/when people took control of their financial life, they would use our benefits to the fullest and truly appreciate what we have here.

The most laid back work atmosphere ever!

Current Employee - Source of Support in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Source of Support in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company boosts that they have never had a layoff. They are very pro-employee and people are truly happy.

Cons

The department I worked in was micromanaged to the second. At times, it was very stressful.

Don't forget that the employees have a life outside of work.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines