Southwest Airlines

www.southwest.com

Good and Bad experience on both ramp and inflight LAS/PHX/OAK

Former Employee - Ramp Agent Then Flight Attendant  in  Las Vegas, NV
Former Employee - Ramp Agent Then Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Worked for SWA for 2 years. Loved the free flights and the pay was reasonable, the work kept me fit and I saw lots of the country. I'm also a private pilot and I love being around airplanes anyway. My husband and I flew to the UK twice in two months as we only had to pay the taxes. ($75 each) The ability to fly anywhere (albeit space available) was the most valuable thing to me. I used it very often; might feel like lunch in Oakland or dinner in San Diego or go visit the zoo, it was like catching a bus. The opportunities to advance were certainly there. I moved from the ramp to Inflight (flight attendant) within 14 months. Pay went up dramatically, afforded more opportunities.

Cons

Bullies on the ramp and in the air, backstabbing, you could never really tell who was your friend. On the ramp I was physically assaulted by a work colleague, threatened by another and yet management chose to ignore it. Filed an IR each time and was told "just stay out of his way" Lots of dead wood, folks who shouldn't be there and don't want to work. Newbies get worked hard, put on gates with the undesirables and the mandatory overtime was awful. Cargo was also not treated well; "Caution live fish" or "Fragile" meant dump it off the baggage loader upside down. Inflight was better in certain ways, but if you are stuck with the crew from hell, those three days are miserable. Also an FA can be away from home 4 nights out of each week, that was too much for me. Got tired of reheated hotel food, string cheese and ramen noodles. Late arrivals in New Hampshire in winter while waiting for the crew bus which was invariably late was never fun. But my main issue was the mistrust between employees. They say "talk it out, don't write it up" but watch out for your supposed best buddy. They might just be filing a report on you.

Listen to some of the new employees. they could tell you things that you may not be aware of. Take complaints seriously, address the issues and don't be afraid of some of the union members who knew that had power and wielded it.

Other reviews for Southwest Airlines

employee culture is fun and welcoming, one of the best parts of working at HQ

Pros

Free airfare, the employee culture, employee events.

Cons

The pay was not particularly high for full time employees.

I only had positive experiences with my management team.

Technology is in Turmoil. Management is Lost.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good health benefits, profit sharing, and best I've ever seen for 401k matching. Flight benefits are nice if you can use them. Plenty of social activities.

Cons

Technology department and its "transformation" has been is a holding pattern for over a year. No one seems to be able to make a decision, set focus, and move forward. Too heavy in outsourcing to workers with little or no loyalty to SWA and the quality of their work is mediocre at best. Also, too many full time employees that are just dead weight and management is either ignoring them or can't do anything about it. So, the few good workers on a team are pulling all the weight, getting stressed and burned out, and morale suffers. Also, those dead weight employees probably make more than the ones doing all the work since they generally have 10+ years at SWA.

The famous Culture of SWA is eroding from a Work Hard/Play Hard attitude to a Do Enough To Get By and Party All You Want kind of atmosphere.

For Technology, stop listening to the bean counters. Those "cheap" outsourced workers are NOT worth it. A single, quality full time employee with have the productivity of 2 or 3 of the outsourced workers and will be loyal to SWA and the "family" culture. Identify and cut the dead weight to save money and increase productivity. And please, Please, PLEASE made a decision and move forward and stop wasting resources and time that could be better used working on the future instead of hanging on to the tech you are going to dump.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!