Southwest Airlines

www.southwest.com
  www.southwest.com
There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

CSA Customer Service Agent Hard work and fun!

Former Employee - CSA Agent in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - CSA Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I thought there were many good things about working at Southwest. I was only there 6 months, the 401k was great, pass benefits, and health benefits.

Cons

I read about backstabbing on here in some of the other reviews. That is interesting because I worked there over 20 years ago and that was the case back then. When you start out and you are the junior agent working a morning shift you had to stay if someone decided not to show up for work that day and it happened more than you would think that it would. You stayed until they found a replacement.

491 Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Airlines (View Most Recent)

Great Experience

Former Employee - CSA CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - CSA CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Family flys free. Work as often as you like by picking up shifts.

Cons

Low pay to start out.

Good and Bad experience on both ramp and inflight LAS/PHX/OAK

Former Employee - Ramp Agent Then Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Ramp Agent Then Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked for SWA for 2 years. Loved the free flights and the pay was reasonable, the work kept me fit and I saw lots of the country. I'm also a private pilot and I love being around airplanes anyway. My husband and I flew to the UK twice in two months as we only had to pay the taxes. ($75 each) The ability to fly anywhere (albeit space available) was the most valuable thing to me. I used it very often; might feel like lunch in Oakland or dinner in San Diego or go visit the zoo, it was like catching a bus. The opportunities to advance were certainly there. I moved from the ramp to Inflight (flight attendant) within 14 months. Pay went up dramatically, afforded more opportunities.

Cons

Bullies on the ramp and in the air, backstabbing, you could never really tell who was your friend. On the ramp I was physically assaulted by a work colleague, threatened by another and yet management chose to ignore it. Filed an IR each time and was told "just stay out of his way" Lots of dead wood, folks who shouldn't be there and don't want to work. Newbies get worked hard, put on gates with the undesirables and the mandatory overtime was awful. Cargo was also not treated well; "Caution live fish" or "Fragile" meant dump it off the baggage loader upside down. Inflight was better in certain ways, but if you are stuck with the crew from hell, those three days are miserable. Also an FA can be away from home 4 nights out of each week, that was too much for me. Got tired of reheated hotel food, string cheese and ramen noodles. Late arrivals in New Hampshire in winter while waiting for the crew bus which was invariably late was never fun. But my main issue was the mistrust between employees. They say "talk it out, don't write it up" but watch out for your supposed best buddy. They might just be filing a report on you.

Listen to some of the new employees. they could tell you things that you may not be aware of. Take complaints seriously, address the issues and don't be afraid of some of the union members who knew that had power and wielded it.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines