Southwest Airlines

www.southwest.com
  www.southwest.com
There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

If your a dedicated hard worker, then Southwest is for you!

Current Employee - Ramp Agent
Current Employee - Ramp Agent

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

The pay is above average compared to similar classifications at other airlines. Top-out after ten years is 26.00 an hour with always overtime available. The benefits package Southwest offers their employees is top notch. 401 K match is dollar per dollar up to 8%. Full medical, dental and vision insurance. Even though airlines don't close on the holidays, they give you "free days" to use ten months out of the year to take whenever you like. Flying benefits are definitely a plus too. Besides all the perks, Southwest really tries to take care of their employees with good communication materials, open discussions between upper management and junior employees, and good relations between the TWU and IAM unions representing southwest employees.

Cons

You will work long hours and as junior employees you are subject to a lot of mandatory shifts. It is hard to balance a personal and work life at the beginning of this career. You will be subjected to harsh weather conditions working outside especially in a snowy station. Ramp agents perform the most grueling work at the station and there are many ways to get injured on the job. Vacations and shifts are all bid per union seniority so this job may not be flexible enough for some.

The leadership at the top is top notch with people who been with the company for many years. The only problem is with smaller management such as ramp supervisors and station managers. It seems to be a revolving door.

504 Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Airlines (View Most Recent)

Southwest is a company I'm proud to work for and I Luv going to work!

Current Employee - Pilot - First Officer
    Current Employee - Pilot - First Officer

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

I'm trusted to do my job and empowered to offer advice to make a difference. I work with outstanding people who for the most part really do enjoy their jobs. The fun loving "culture" at Southwest makes it a pleasure to not only come to work but to enjoy your job while you are at work. Most importantly I am treated with respect by the company and my fellow employees. I take ownership of my Southwest family and I feel like I am part of something larger than myself. I also feel like I earn an honest wage and I have some flexibility in what kind of schedule I work. I have worked at Southwest for 4 years and I consider myself very lucky to have been hired here. I want to help make this company great because I feel like a valued employee which I have never felt at any other company. Some have said the Southwest culture is slowing going away but I completely disagree. If anything I think it has improved during this past year as we all have to deal with this economy. We have become more focused just to weather the storm and I think we will be a better company because it and I think the best days of Southwest are still ahead and I plan to make sure that is what will happen.

Cons

The overall state of the economy has led almost no growth. The combination of the pilot retirement age from 60 to 65 has added to the problem. Upgrade times for First Officers to Captain has increased from what used to be about 6 year upgrades to what is expected to be 10-12 year upgrades. This however is still an unknown as everything could change overnight depending on multiple external and internal factors. This problem has been managed as well as could be expected by Southwest and the company seems to plan well for the "bad" times as this cyclical industry is nothing new. Ultimately I feel that Southwest has managed their work force effectively given how crazy this industry is. Not one employee has lost their job at Southwest due to this economy and from where I sit I think the company makes every effort to keep all of us on the pay roll when others in this industry have not been able to take care of their own.

Continue to value the employees and we will continue to value the customers and the customers will continue value our company. Trust and respect are two way streets and I don't want to lose that aspect of our company. I like that Southwest tends to promote managers and leaders from within our company with those who know our culture the best so please look for talent from within our own ranks. I think any merger or acquisition which would fracture any working group could doom this airline. We can grow from within and select those who want to be here and be part of the Southwest culture. I would rather work with someone who wants to be here and sought employment at Southwest instead of someone who was forced to start working here because they were pawns of a system which was out of their control. Most of all keep up the great work as we are all counting on you...and you can count on us too.

One of, if not the, best place to work in the north Texas area.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

I have wokred for Southwest, Mary Kay, and a lot of other companies in the north texas area, and Southwest will always get the nod. While Mary Kay is vert similiar in nature, Southwest does with 30 times as many people. It is amazing. The culture has definitely changed since I have been here, but maintaing culture is so difficult. They do it better then most. It's what makes Southwest..... Southwest.

Cons

As you can imagine the culture is definitely declining. But, as soon as you think it has got to be on the verge of becoming just another BIG company, something happens to prove you wrong. Granted it is not the SOUTHWEST of the early years, but it wasn't the SOUTHWEST of the earlier years when I got here.

You guys are doing a great job. Continue doing what you are doing, and as always, listen to your line and file workes.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines