Southwest Airlines

A dream come true

Current Employee - Ramp Agent for Southwest Airlines in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Ramp Agent for Southwest Airlines in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

I am convinced that there is NO better job on earth than the job I currently have as a ramp agent for Southwest Airlines. Not to be confused with a ramp agent for any other airline. As Southwest ramp agents we enjoy one of the absolute best compensation packages on earth, bullet proof job security (Southwest being the most healthy airline in the country as well as a union shop), and the greatest company culture and work atmosphere there is. As a senior agent I earn $26 an hour, have what amounts to 7 weeks paid vacation a year, fly free, have top notch medical for practically free, have a dynamic schedule that I can pick and choose my hours and off days, have the ability to pick up and relocate to any of Southwest's 69 cities, receive both 401k dollar for dollar match as well as profit sharing, the ability to work overtime at will which has allowed me to essentially double my annual income (I've made as much as $83,000 a year), and I work a job that is downright fun and exciting.

Cons

It's definitely not for everyone. It takes a certain type of individual who is able to handle the type of work that you'll be expected to do. You'll face adversity in the form of weather, high volume, time constraints, long hours, and responsibility. In other words you'll have essentially 20 minutes to connect ground services, position ground equipment to the plane, load over 100 bags and thousands of pounds of freight, do so in a weight and balance friendly manner, act as the last line of defense as far as making sure the plane is sealed and ready for flight, then take command of a 40 million dollar aircraft and move it from the gate out onto the taxi way via a push back tug vehicle. That's the job in a nutshell. If you're up for it, or if you're like me and actually LUV the work, you're going to be a very happy person.

Keep up the good work.

501 Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Airlines (View Most Recent)

Great Company... a great atmosphere to work in!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines

Pros

The company spirit is excellent! You will have a great time with your employees and senior management is superior to any other airline out there.

Cons

The pay isn't as competitive as I would like it to be, though their benefits package tends to make up for the lower pay.

Keep up the great work! You've got a great culture that's been built at SWA. Stick with what works for SWA!

Project Mgr Review

Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Good team
    Great support from peers and management

Cons

Better training in business understanding

Feedback on performance is not timely

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines