Southwest Airlines
www.southwest.com Dallas, TX 5000+ Employees

A dream come true

Ramp Agent for Southwest Airlines (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

ProsI am convinced that there is NO better job on earth than the job I currently have as a ramp agent for Southwest Airlines. Not to be confused with a ramp agent for any other airline. As Southwest ramp agents we enjoy one of the absolute best compensation packages on earth, bullet proof job security (Southwest being the most healthy airline in the country as well as a union shop), and the greatest company culture and work atmosphere there is. As a senior agent I earn $26 an hour, have what amounts to 7 weeks paid vacation a year, fly free, have top notch medical for practically free, have a dynamic schedule that I can pick and choose my hours and off days, have the ability to pick up and relocate to any of Southwest's 69 cities, receive both 401k dollar for dollar match as well as profit sharing, the ability to work overtime at will which has allowed me to essentially double my annual income (I've made as much as $83,000 a year), and I work a job that is downright fun and exciting.

ConsIt's definitely not for everyone. It takes a certain type of individual who is able to handle the type of work that you'll be expected to do. You'll face adversity in the form of weather, high volume, time constraints, long hours, and responsibility. In other words you'll have essentially 20 minutes to connect ground services, position ground equipment to the plane, load over 100 bags and thousands of pounds of freight, do so in a weight and balance friendly manner, act as the last line of defense as far as making sure the plane is sealed and ready for flight, then take command of a 40 million dollar aircraft and move it from the gate out onto the taxi way via a push back tug vehicle. That's the job in a nutshell. If you're up for it, or if you're like me and actually LUV the work, you're going to be a very happy person.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great Company... a great atmosphere to work in!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines

Pros: The company spirit is excellent! You will have a great time with… Cons: The pay isn't as competitive as I would like it to be,… Advice to Senior Management: Keep up the great work! You've got a great culture… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Project Mgr Review

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines

Pros: Good team Great support from peers and management Cons: Better training in business understanding Advice to Senior Management: Feedback on performance is not timely Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Southwest Airlines.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southwest Airlines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Southwest Airlines CEO Gary C. Kelly. All reviews posted anonymously by Southwest Airlines employees.