There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Ambulance

I enjoyed my time at Southwest Ambulance.

Former Employee - Paramedic  in  Apache Junction, AZ
Former Employee - Paramedic in Apache Junction, AZ

I worked at Southwest Ambulance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working with the different fire departments in Maricopa and Pinal counties and interaction with hospital staff.

Cons

Lower management needs to improve their management skills

15 Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Ambulance (View Most Recent)

So much potential as a company but fails to really follow through

Current Employee - Paramedic  in  Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Paramedic in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Ambulance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great experience for emergency medical personel

Cons

This is a stepping stone job and they treat it as such. Do not expect to put in your 20 years, there are much better opportunities out there. Untrained management. Zero follow through. Bad training department.

Get a degree and learn how to work harder. Use training as an asset not a punishment. Obey policies, not at your own discretion. Figure out how to follow through on all projects, issues and problems.

Not a good company, frequently pretty terrible.

Current Employee - EMT-P  in  Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - EMT-P in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Ambulance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great co-workers (for the most part)

- If you enjoy doing patient care or driving, aspects of this job are extremely rewarding.

Cons

- Terrible, terrible pay (raises are frozen)

- Benefits leave something to be desired and expensive

- Management is useless - I'm sure they actually do something, but it's hard to tell what. They certainly never intervene on behalf of field crews. If something goes wrong, you're on your own. Also, only expect to hear from them when you've done something wrong. If you're golden, you won't be hearing a peep. If you have valid complaints with the way you're treated or the way the company functions, they're very quick to remind you where the door is.

- Poor equipment that malfunctions regularly - such as ventilators right in the middle of vent patient calls.

- Ambulances that break down with alarming regularity, have poor brakes, have poor suspension (I believe that some of my patients have ended up in worse shape than I found them because of how poorly some of our ambulances run), have godawful air conditioning. My currently ambulance is just about to roll over 600,000 miles and I have it on good authority that the odometer has rolled over once.

- Dispatch is utterly incompetent and often times mean-spirited. Expect to be sent on calls with blatantly incorrect information, expect to be sent to the wrong address, expect to be dispatched without nearly enough time to get to your destination AND if you're interfacility, expect to be sent on calls outside of your scope of practice, expect to be sent to Tuscon for a wait and return when you've got 3 hours left in your shirt, expect to be punished for many shifts to come if you happen to cross the wrong person with a real or perceived slight, expect to be treated with contempt.

- Corporate does whatever it wants with as little notice as possible. Changing the entire interfacility schedule with less than two weeks notice when everyone who was hard bid did so to correspond with their school and childcare schedules? Why not! It'll get some corporate suit his six-figure bonus, so hey. Demolish coverage so that what few crews are left up at any given time never stop running, always end up being held over and still can't make their arrival times because we're going from AJ to Goodyear and back again in a single day? Why not? Diesel is cheaper than actually running a well functioning company, right?

- Get it together. In my almost four years at SW (in which I have worked interfacility, EMS, CC), I've met maybe two employees (who have been there longer than 6 months) who are genuinely happy with this job. If you're not there to support the field employees, then what purpose to do you serve?

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Ambulance

Worked for Southwest Ambulance? Contribute to the Community!