Southwest Water

www.swwc.com
  www.swwc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Water

Company needs executive and senior management overhaul before ratings will improve.

I have been working at Southwest Water

Pros

Good entry level for those looking to gain utility experience. Opportunity to move throughout the southwestern United States. Company lacks employees with adequate long term strategy, so this is a great place if you have the ability to create and implement new concepts, but buy-in required.

Cons

Executive management makes poor decisions. Salary, retirement, health benefits are substandard for the utility industry. Tremendous amount of favoritism given to those "yes men" and not the visionaries. Company morale is extremely low.

Listen to those who have real experience and cross-functional ability. Cut costs using the vitality curve or Pareto principle. The company has a lot of lazy people who continue to reap rewards and positive reviews considering their poor performance and behavior.

Only keep those at the top who are filled with passion committed to making things happen. Open to ideas from anywhere and blessed with lots of "runway" ahead of them, have charisma, the ability to energize themselves and others, and can make business productive and enjoyable at the same time. Heavy emphasis on "productive and enjoyable." Morale is in the gutter.

Keep those in the middle who may not be the biggest visionaries or the most driven, but are "vital" because they make up the majority of the group and are stellar workhorses. Get rid of those who aren't regardless of their years of tenure. Yes there are still many left. Executive and senior management needs to stop rewarding the the so called "golden children." These are the "fakes," "the actors" and "workplace buddies." The golden children tend to delegate without authority. They also reap credit for work that isn't theirs.

Today, the company rewards those who least deserve it, do the least amount of work or have the least amount of vision. This practice needs to stop. Reward those who deserve to be rewarded and implement a valid, reliable, and measurable method of tracking individual success.

9 Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Water (View Most Recent)

It was wonderful.

Former Employee - AUDIT Coordinator & AP Reconciliation in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - AUDIT Coordinator & AP Reconciliation in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwest Water as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Leadership was great, Office culture was friendly and great company to work

Cons

I did not work for a longer period. Therefore, no comment.

Keep it up

Opportunities for learning but...

Former Employee - Utility Operator and Dispatcher in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Utility Operator and Dispatcher in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwest Water full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learn a lot about the water and waste water industry.
    Good benefits and will pay for your advancement in licensing
    paid for me to go to college to further my education
    Lots of overtime in the field

Cons

poor implementation of MRP and ERP software
    long hours
    company took a huge hit in 2011, many people lost their jobs
    during hurricane Ike disaster, I worked every day for 4 weeks, little recognition or bonus for my time away from my family. Was stationed at a facility with no resources and strict orders to not leave the facility. Some people brought me food, but I had to rely on my family to bring me essentials. Had to sleep in my truck for 3 days. Another higher ranking operator had a tree branch fall through his window, and they ordered me to swap company vehicles with him so I was driving around with a large hole in my windshield and a damaged truck.
    As a dispatcher management lead by the "fear for losing your job" attitude. Always coming up with procedures that made the job difficult. Upper management in the field "pawned" the West Regional Water Authority" monitoring system on to the dispatchers who were untrained to monitor the system. Any time there would be a major problem that occurred, dispatchers were targeted and fired.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Water