Southwestern Advantage

www.southwesternadvantage.com
  www.southwesternadvantage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Southwestern Advantage

Best two summer's in college

Former Employee - Southwestern Direct Contractor
Former Employee - Southwestern Direct Contractor

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

The best way to display motivation and also build your resume in college is through the Southwestern Companies Internship program. It's the toughest and most demanding internship and will push you to your limits physically, emotionally, and even mentally. Completely worth every minute. You will learn how hard and how far you can push yourself and also how much you had limited yourself before learning the art from of direct sales. This job is not for everyone but will benefit anyone who attempts a summer and completes the entire experience.

Southwestern also has a topped ranked collegiate sales training program and also only promotes from within with a strict focus being on whether you have good management abilities and not so much on whether you are a great seller unlike some sales companies.

Cons

Sometimes their product levels are antiquated and not as relevant to client needs. However, there is now an entire division set aside to the revamping and creation of bleeding edge product offerings. Also, since you are running your own business, I would like the company to provide a better tax education as to how best to use business expense write-offs and 1099 filing.

Introduce a health benefits program for student managers and also implement a base salary for corporate recruiters. It will make a lot more of them remain with the company and also allow Southwestern to remain competitive with the growing surge of sales companies that offer some type of base income.

119 Other Employee Reviews for Southwestern Advantage (View Most Recent)

It's a long hard road, but looking back it's all worth it.

Current Employee - Student Manager
    Current Employee - Student Manager

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

It's really challenging out there in the book field, but that's what's also great about it. You learn a lot about yourself, how to handle difficult situations, persist until you succeed, be self-motivated, maintain a positive mental attitude, vanquish any fears of rejection and the unknown, and other great qualities that last you a life time. The friends you make there will be in you wedding some day, and the alumni are very supportive. Also, the training is top notch, and it always looks good on your resume when you first go out into the job market looking for your "real job". If you're looking to get into sales in the future, this is a great stepping stone.

Cons

This program is not for everyone. The hours are long . Your first summer, when you don't really know what it's really like out there, you sometimes feel that you are under paid for the work and hours you put in (in terms of actual cash). There are days when it seems impossible. Rejection is constant.

Have housing set up for everyone, at all times.

Best experience of my life. Besides the money, my 6 years with sw yielded invaluable GROWTH.

Current Employee - Summer Sales/Recruiter in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Summer Sales/Recruiter in Athens, GA

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*best sales and leadership training in the world for college kids...really...speakers are legit.
    *travel to a cool part of the country
    *met some of my best years through incentive trips, management training trips, etc...
    *made <$260k (between personal sales and team check) over 6 summers
    *helped thousands of families in the summer
    *LEARNED FUNDAMENTAL SALES TECHNIQUES, MANAGEMENT PRINCIPLES, & LIFE LESSONS that have shaped me into the 25yo woman that I am today
    *Hardest possible challenge I could have chosen for my summers (yes, a pro)

Cons

*(see last pro) This was freakin HARD
    *tons of rejection
    *straight commission
    *must have a problem-solving mentality
    *work ethic matters...no one is there to hold your hand
    *your success (or failure) is 100% up to you...which I consider a pro..

Be transparent and open with kids about personal weaknesses, challenges, and doubts. Hierarchy never promotes long-term trust. I was very grateful that my manager was that way with me. We're all growing together every day:)

There are newer employer reviews for Southwestern Advantage