Southwestern Advantage

www.southwesternadvantage.com
  www.southwesternadvantage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Southwestern Advantage

It was the hardest work that I would never want to do again

Former Employee - First Year Seller  in  Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - First Year Seller in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time for less than a year

Pros

great lessons on attitude, hard work and dealing with rejection and failure

Cons

13+ hour work days, no support during the week and too much driving

113 Other Employee Reviews for Southwestern Advantage (View Most Recent)

My Southwestern DISadvantage "Internship"

Former Employee - Intern  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I learned to stop being so trusting of people, especially recruiters.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin when thinking back when I thought I had accepted an "internship" at the end of my freshman year. My recruiter was charming, and painted a much different picture of what my summer selling books would be like. Let's just say, I arrived at Sales School and discovered the cult I was talked into being a part of. After a week of brainwashing, I left for my "HQ" in Kentucky where I was going to live with 2 peers and 1 student leader. My manager lived about an hour away from me in another house with a few other team members. The house I stayed in was barely livable and smelled of dog pee. I had to wake up at 6 am and couldn't return to the HQ til 11 pm. My territory to sell was in the rural area of Kentucky in 100 degree weather. I left before my first week finished and my only regret is attending the first info session when I first got lured into the scheme. I didn't believe all of the bad reviews until I got to experience it for myself. For those of you reading my post, you've been warned.

I would give constructive criticism here, but when I think about it, upper management is clever. They hire naive, broke college kids who are desperate for job opportunities. Then, they talk up the program, lie to the poor kids and parents, and isolate the candidates away from their support system. Meanwhile, the upper management sit pretty in their cubicles, offices, and air conditioned buildings. Well played.

learn life skills, but at a cost

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Personal growth: working 80 hours a week for 6 days a week as a college student really showed me the value of time and how much you can accomplish. also, i learned not to take rejection as seriously, which has helped.

Cons

pay: as a first year of course there's a learning curve, but it's straight commission. you only make 40% of what you sell. considering you put in 80 hours a week, it's usually below minimum wage if you're a first year

when i considered quitting, i told my manager i had trouble staying motivated. instead of providing me with solutions and advice on how to stay motivated and addressing the problem, he just blabbed about why i should stay. on the other hand, the other leaders in the organization were very good listeners and provided me with way better advice.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwestern Advantage

Worked for Southwestern Advantage? Contribute to the Community!