Southwestern Advantage

www.southwesternadvantage.com
  www.southwesternadvantage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Southwestern Advantage

Incredible teaching experience, not for the faint of heart

Former Employee - First Year Bookdealer
Former Employee - First Year Bookdealer

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

-best business training one can get in college
-teaches lifelong lessons that will help you succeed
-very motivational
-shows people they can control their attitude
-great way to learn how to make connections
-very high expectations
-constantly surrounded by hard workers and successful people
-management cares more about helping teach students than anything else
-stronger sales training than all but maybe a couple fortune 500 companies

Cons

-long hours (80+)
-very hard work. You will be selling door to door, 8am-9:30pm 6 days a week with meetings on Sundays
-100% commission, no benefits package
-you work in an unfamiliar part of the country (pro and con)

Keep at it! The Southwestern company is not for everyone, but for those that can stick it out it can be very lucrative, but more importantly a great learning experience. Most (but not all) managers do a good job disclosing the challenges upfront, but if they don't it's known by the time people are in sales school. I would not be who I am, or in my career today if it weren't for my time with Southwestern.

114 Other Employee Reviews for Southwestern Advantage (View Most Recent)

Great place to work for beefing up resume

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

Hardest but most rewarding experience of my life

Cons

Prepare to work 6 days and 80+ hours a week

Find places for employees to live before putting them in the unknown sales territory

Best two summer's in college

Former Employee - Southwestern Direct Contractor
    Former Employee - Southwestern Direct Contractor

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

The best way to display motivation and also build your resume in college is through the Southwestern Companies Internship program. It's the toughest and most demanding internship and will push you to your limits physically, emotionally, and even mentally. Completely worth every minute. You will learn how hard and how far you can push yourself and also how much you had limited yourself before learning the art from of direct sales. This job is not for everyone but will benefit anyone who attempts a summer and completes the entire experience.

Southwestern also has a topped ranked collegiate sales training program and also only promotes from within with a strict focus being on whether you have good management abilities and not so much on whether you are a great seller unlike some sales companies.

Cons

Sometimes their product levels are antiquated and not as relevant to client needs. However, there is now an entire division set aside to the revamping and creation of bleeding edge product offerings. Also, since you are running your own business, I would like the company to provide a better tax education as to how best to use business expense write-offs and 1099 filing.

Introduce a health benefits program for student managers and also implement a base salary for corporate recruiters. It will make a lot more of them remain with the company and also allow Southwestern to remain competitive with the growing surge of sales companies that offer some type of base income.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwestern Advantage

Worked for Southwestern Advantage? Contribute to the Community!