Sovereign Bancorp

A learning experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Short Hills, NJ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Short Hills, NJ

I have been working at Sovereign Bancorp

Pros

The bank has several areas of growth that are continuing, with the merging with Santander. In the near future, many changes will be occurring.

Cons

Technology needs to be improved in several areas of the bank, specifically in the mortgage division

Computer systems, printers and the availability of updated techology should be included in all capital spending projects.

168 Other Employee Reviews for Sovereign Bancorp (View Most Recent)

Sales grind with little respect for employees time and little support to get the job done.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sovereign Bancorp

Pros

Benefits and pay are comparable to other financial institutions.

Cons

Disregard (often disdain) for work / life balance.
    Focus on making sales numbers rather than building long term relationships or taking care of customers.
    TECHNOLOGY is several years behind competitors.
    No room for individuality or creativity in different markets.
    Sterile work environment.
    No mentoring / support / community.
    No expectation of donation of time for charitable activities or community development.

Your employees are individuals who have strengths and weaknesses and personalities - not cogs in a machine to be replaced when they've finally been ground down and worn out.

Chicken with their heads cut off!!

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Sovereign Bancorp

Pros

OK Benifits (Health, medical, 401k match, etc)

Cons

Poor management (MICRO!!)
    REPORTS REPORTS REPORTS
    CONF CALLS!!!!! Way too many. How are we supposed to run business when we have mandatory calls constantly. I almost felt I would get a call on my day's off, just to check in! (obv. kidding there) but you get the point.

Try to get a better understanding of how to relate with consumers and realize we are not in Spain. US is a consumer world, unlike the culture in other countries. I also suggest you empower employees (i.e. managers) more so they can make the decisions that we were hired to do. Hire competent management and DE's rather than spending so much money on STARR program to micromanage and interfere with how people bring results. Everyone has their own way of being successful, you can't have one standard for each individual and each branch, regardless of their location etc. Spend the money on new technology and resources.

There are newer employer reviews for Sovereign Bancorp