Monotonous, mundane and mind-numbing

Former Employee - ACH Lead Specialist in Reading, PA
Former Employee - ACH Lead Specialist in Reading, PA

I worked at Sovereign Bancorp full-time

Pros

The benefits are decent and you start with 15 days PTO right off the bat.

Cons

Little to no avenues for growth. No clear career path. Saying the work was monotonous doesn't begin to describe it.

Advice to Management

When posting jobs internally, take those candidates seriously. Don't do it just so you can advertise to outsiders looking for a job that you recruit heavily from within.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

THE WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER WORKED AND I'M INCLUDING MENIAL JOBS IN HIGH SCHOOL!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Sovereign Bancorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is easy to get a job here.

Cons

-poor management
    -micro managers
    -everyone and i mean EVERYONE around you hates their job
    -only the robotic people succeed
    -managers take credit for your work
    -you are treated as though you are disposable
    -you are actually disposable and the turnover is horrendous

Advice to Management

take a good long look in the mirror and change everything from the top down.

If you were to look up Sovereign/Santander in the dictionary, you'd see "revolving door" as the definition

I worked at Sovereign Bancorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with on a daily basis are very kind, and make the experience tolerable. The benefits are decent, and are better than where you would find elsewhere.

Cons

The bank is truly a revolving door. The attrition rate is very high, and it's no wonder given the way employees are treated. The bank's policies are very "old school." They have not adapted to the changing times - there are very few perks to being an employee. Don't even think about asking for flexibility in your schedule, or to work from home. Employees are motivated by a bonus, and that is it. The work environment leaves everything to be desired - quiet, cold, and non-collaborative.

Don't hold your breath for development opportunities. They do not exist. And as far as the chance to grow with the company, well you just won't see it.

The bank itself is run on politics and bureaucracy. Nepotism also runs rampant and unchecked. It appeared that you wouldn't get anywhere unless you're related to or a close friend of upper level management. Upper level management itself is a giant boy's club, where a machismo attitude can be detected from a mile away. I was told it's a cultural thing, but that's completely unacceptable. I felt my gender hindered my success, and felt I was not taken seriously or respected by male colleagues.

Finally, there is a lack of understanding of the US market. You'd think a billion dollar company could seamlessly meld into a new market, but that's not the case here. The phrase, "Well in other countries we did this..." is thrown around in nearly every conversation.

Advice to Management

Don't hire employees that you don't trust the opinions of. Don't hire employees who are clearly over-qualified for the role. And finally, appreciate your team - you may be driving the car, but you need wheels to support it.