There are newer employer reviews for Sovran Self Storage

The best job I have ever worked with and for,

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Williamsville, NY
Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Williamsville, NY

I have been working at Sovran Self Storage

Pros

Managment team is wonderful, supportive, CARING, bonus every month and quarterly. 3 weeks paid time off after one day service. GREAT benefits and overall the best place to work and grow. within months you can be promoted to different area.. Wonderful place to wake up and go to each day,

Cons

Sitting at a desk with scheduled breaks and lunches are difficult to get used to if your not used to being on a TIGHT schedule, other wise NOTHING negative to say

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, great job with taking the time to grow every employee to their max ability and their full potential

reviews filtered by
  1. long hours for short pay.

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Sovran Self Storage

Pros

free housing for employees which saves you money

Cons

they definitely do not pay you enough not even close

Advice to Management

treat you employees better, know their names

Horrible work environment

Former Employee - Associate Manager II
    Former Employee - Associate Manager II

I worked at Sovran Self Storage part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent hours. Good vacation time

Cons

Very political.

I worked as an associate manager at one of the store locations and you have no rights whatsoever. Manager gets credit for everything while associates who did all the work get nothing. But when something goes inadvertently wrong, it is automatically the associate manager's fault. It is all about who likes you and not on the good work that you do. Good work does not get recognized and upper management and corporate will always side with the manager. Always....the associate is always wrong. Your bonus is dictated by how much they like you, not by the actual work you do...hence the manager usually takes 85% of the bonus in my experience.

To get ahead in the company one needs to be a suck up to upper management. If you don't do this you will get nowhere.

High turnover rate. I was hired during an acquisition and had at least 10 other new hires along with me to work at the stores. By the time I left I was the only new hire employee left as many of the individuals did the smart thing and quit or they didn't kiss up to upper management and got let go. Many people have come and gone during my year there and everyone has bad things to say about the work environment.

Manager would schedule associate manager by him/herself on high traffic days (usually at the beginning and end of each month)

Non competitive pay. Other storage companies pay much better.

I would never work for this company again and wouldn't want anyone I care about working here. Horrible corrupt people that take credit for everything, make the innocent person(s) look incompetent and the unhealthy work environment promotes animosity towards others. AVOID!

Advice to Management

Hire competent managers that encourage their associates to do better. With their current mentality I, including many others just stop caring after a while. Training should be better implemented with hands on experience rather than reading through a giant binder. Ive had questions and concerns about what to do on some occasions and my manager kept referring me to the training binder, rather than teaching me himself. That is not a good leader.
    Have HR actually listen to the lowly associates as many instances have gone ignored due to our title.