Sovran Self Storage

www.unclebobs.com

Horrible work environment

Associate Manager II (Former Employee)

ProsDecent hours. Good vacation time

ConsVery political.

I worked as an associate manager at one of the store locations and you have no rights whatsoever. Manager gets credit for everything while associates who did all the work get nothing. But when something goes inadvertently wrong, it is automatically the associate manager's fault. It is all about who likes you and not on the good work that you do. Good work does not get recognized and upper management and corporate will always side with the manager. Always....the associate is always wrong. Your bonus is dictated by how much they like you, not by the actual work you do...hence the manager usually takes 85% of the bonus in my experience.

To get ahead in the company one needs to be a suck up to upper management. If you don't do this you will get nowhere.

High turnover rate. I was hired during an acquisition and had at least 10 other new hires along with me to work at the stores. By the time I left I was the only new hire employee left as many of the individuals did the smart thing and quit or they didn't kiss up to upper management and got let go. Many people have come and gone during my year there and everyone has bad things to say about the work environment.

Manager would schedule associate manager by him/herself on high traffic days (usually at the beginning and end of each month)

Non competitive pay. Other storage companies pay much better.

I would never work for this company again and wouldn't want anyone I care about working here. Horrible corrupt people that take credit for everything, make the innocent person(s) look incompetent and the unhealthy work environment promotes animosity towards others. AVOID!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent managers that encourage their associates to do better. With their current mentality I, including many others just stop caring after a while. Training should be better implemented with hands on experience rather than reading through a giant binder. Ive had questions and concerns about what to do on some occasions and my manager kept referring me to the training binder, rather than teaching me himself. That is not a good leader.
Have HR actually listen to the lowly associates as many instances have gone ignored due to our title.

Heaven or hell

Associate Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sovran Self Storage

Pros: It's a day job great for parents. A set schedule and lunch. It can be fun if you manage your… Cons: God help you if you and your manager don't get along. Associate managers have no support whatsoever as far as you're concerned the manager is… Advice to Senior Management: Why are the managers not being evaluated on treating their associates fairly? Why are trainers being paid and put up in hotels if they… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

nice

I have been working at Sovran Self Storage

Pros: environment is a good place Cons: hours are long but fair Advice to Senior Management: keep up the good work More
There are newer reviews on Sovran Self Storage.

Worked for Sovran Self Storage? Contribute to the Community!