There are newer employer reviews for Space Systems/Loral

Stuck in the 60's

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral

Pros

Great pay and great work. You get to be with real hardware that actually will remain out in space. Coworkers are very friendly toward each other and spend some time aways from work together at personal gatherings.

Cons

the company culture is very "Old school." Most people are NOT given the option to work from home. It is not a very flexivle work environment especially if you work with or around the manufacturing teams. almost all people are expected to work at least 10% more on a regular basis. Lots of people work on weekends and work 10 hour days regurlarly.

Its 2012 and your company is physically less than a couple miles away from google and when you look at the company culture you are decades away. Employees at Loral are given very little latitude to create, take ownership and leadership. Most employees feel micromanaged. This goes from managers the way down to the individual contributor.

117 Other Employee Reviews for Space Systems/Loral (View Most Recent)

There are too much unreasonable expectations and deadlines to perform tasks and assignments.

Current Employee - Engineering Specialist  in  East Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in East Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral

Pros

Job Security is very high. People do not get layed off; they get fired, but it takes a year. Loral gives people a chance to improve performance.

I did change my ratings from a 2 to a 3 because I heard from friends that it is a common problem at other companies, or employees at other companies quit because they are bored with nothing to do.

Cons

There is a reason why job security is very high. Loral tries to win contracts at any cost. This includes underbidding with a tight schedule. Unfortunately, satellites need to be redesigned and time is very valuable. Managers at every level simply ignore problems; some even micromanage tasks to help solve the problem on the radar without alleviating the work. Many managers and employees are untrained because they are new. We also need to spend time on training ourselves and others and trying to find time to fulfill non-program related work assignments. A lot of good and even experienced people have left the company which exacerbates the problem. This also leads to a lot of people finger-pointing at each other.

Learn to win contracts with a more decent schedule and cost and reasonable designs and analyses. Loral is losing its technical edge as a satellite provider.

New industry for me, new experiences, gaining great knowledge, but...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral

Pros

Benefits include paying tuition when it's due (not a reimbursement), plenty of choices for medical, dental, and vision, great 401k match.
    Somewhat easy to transfer departments to gain great knowledge and understanding of the company and satellites.

Cons

Much of the management seems to be senior engineering and not complete managers. Most have grasped the technology and requirements knowledge, but the lacking element tends to be the expressed importance of training as well as the 'human' side of managing.
    Not satisfied with ratio of work-to-compensation level.

Require senior level oversight of new employees at least half as much as we push schedule deadlines.
    A verbal 'pat on the back' once in a while can go a long way.

There are newer employer reviews for Space Systems/Loral

Worked for Space Systems/Loral? Contribute to the Community!