Space Systems/Loral
www.ssloral.com Palo Alto, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Great for Learning about SPACE and mostly friendly people in a usually low stress work environment.

EEE Parts Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFriendly Coworkers
Fair and emotionally intelligent management.
SPACE industry (get HIGH learning about the GEO positioned satellites SSL builds)
Work Life Balance is good

ConsEvery thing moves slowly and to get things done quickly (days) there is a lot of calling and pushing that needs to be done to move an issue through the system of all the people involved.
Relatively low pay and bonus for the skilled high tech workers compared to other companies in Silicon Valley.
Difficult to get improvement implemented because of focus on heritage and keeping what works going instead of innovating.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more careful about labor loading (hiring) during good times. SSL's predictions for the number of contracts to be awarded was super optimistic during 2011/12 period and honestly could have used better judgement in resisting hiring too much. This would have avoided layoffs.

Focus on IR&D to stay current. I plan to build a satellite company in the future and it will be more akin to SPACE X = efficient and cutting edge!

Give you employee's a better bonus or more people will leave the company for better paying careers in IT (software/hardware) and the commercial electronics industry.

Good Opportunities For College Grads, Company Makes Cool Products,,Can Be Frustrating For The Career-Focused Individuals

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Space Systems/Loral full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: - Competitive salaries. Human Resources appears to do annual salary surveys to remain competitive. - Unique, interesting product--satellites. - Potential to break new ground with products and… Cons: - Workload heavily dependent on the company winning awards. I have experienced slow time before. Probably overstaffed when I was there but likely… Advice to Senior Management: Dear Management - This is the most top-heavy your company has been in years. That many Directors, VPs,, VPs, and departments cost a lot.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Company makes an interesting product but work atmosphere is divided (Finance versus Accounting)...

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Space Systems/Loral full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Started / worked in finance and rotated through the accounting department: - Predictable hours (while in finance)...8 hour days are the norm for a financial analyst,… Cons: - Finance works less hours than Accounting. Unfortunate because I think accounting is where more relevant knowledge and experience can be gained. (I… Advice to Senior Management: Accounting and Finance are part of the same organization. Do not continue with… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Space Systems/Loral.

Worked for Space Systems/Loral? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Space Systems/Loral reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Space Systems/Loral CEO John Celli . All reviews posted anonymously by Space Systems/Loral employees.