Spacelabs Healthcare

www.spacelabshealthcare.com
  www.spacelabshealthcare.com
There are newer employer reviews for Spacelabs Healthcare

Legacy products, ideas and people make for an non innovative company

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Snoqualmie, WA
Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Snoqualmie, WA

I worked at Spacelabs Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work hours are fairly flexible depending on your manager

Cons

The difference between a merit increase of a top performer is negligible to that of a low performer, creating no incentive to overachieve.
Product development team spends a significant amount of time firefighting legacy product issues instead of obsoleting legacy products.
No innovation, a follower in the industry instead of a leader
Lack of resources for most projects.
Lack of communication between different business areas
Many employees are close to retirement.
Fresh university graduates are not well mentored and there is no emphasis on career development

Management needs to invest in their top performers and get rid of the low ones. Tolerating low performers forces high performers to leave.
Take preventative actions to keep employees happy instead of waiting until they resign, at that point it is too late.

27 Other Employee Reviews for Spacelabs Healthcare (View Most Recent)

Really awful company to work for and a difficult environment to tolerate.

Former Employee - Buyer/Planner II in Snoqualmie, WA
    Former Employee - Buyer/Planner II in Snoqualmie, WA

I worked at Spacelabs Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sometimes they scheduled an annual picnic that was nice to take your family to.

Cons

Required me to work (5) five days a week plus weekends (most of the time) and never allowed a true vacation (if I was allowed a vacation, I would always get a call and be asked to turn it into a working vacation) But, most requests for vacation were denied based upon that it was never a good time and they could not afford for any of their employees to be gone. The main reason for this is that they have a ratio of (1) one person doing (2) two peoples jobs. Over the years, I accumulated the maximum number of hours of vacation time or PTO - Paid Time Off as they called it. And this was (6) weeks. And even being maxed out and not having a vacation for the previous (3) three years, I still couldn't get a vacation approved. Then I started losing time (each paycheck) because you can only accumulate so much. When I was laid off, I was denied the pay out of the (6) six weeks that I had earned. What really made it unbearable was how upper-management would take elaborate vacations (sometimes up to four weeks and in exotic places) and then come back with reports of how wonderful it was for them and their families. Crazy but true!

Have a heart, people deserve the perks that are offered at the beginning of their employment. Let your employees have what you promised and what they earned for showing up each and every day. If you deny them a vacation, don't keep the pay too, employees have families and children that may have to forfeit their time together during vacations, for the sake of the company, as you often explained, but why do employees have to forfeit maybe having a new TV, or couch, or refrigerator or even accumulating a college fund so that their children may get a higher education. Please don't deny your employees vacation and keep the pay as well!

Highly frustrating experience because of entrenched roadblocks and lack of conviction to really execute on vision

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Snoqualmie, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Snoqualmie, WA

I worked at Spacelabs Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Potential to revitalize an entrenched and spectacularly flawed internal process.
    Company is mostly financially stable.
    Some very sincere and intelligent people.

Cons

No singular vision and lack of team cohesiveness.
    Company is process bound and real innovation suffers because of severe legacy penalty.
    Parent company sucks money, but does little more than talk about making changes.
    Investment in employees is non-existent even after promises to change, nothing does.
    Multiple legacy systems that have significant flaws keeps development fighting fires instead of innovating.
    A large number of people at the company are just in it for a paycheck.

Management needs to give more than lip service to moving the company into the next generation.
    The people that are trying to effect this change are not really supported by the company.
    Company should seriously consider what it says about belief in senior management when a large number of people decide to leave.
    Real change comes from within.
    Lack of true talent will continue to derail any positive changes.

There are newer employer reviews for Spacelabs Healthcare