Spansion

Meet Spansion® – Enabling a More Mobile, Digital, Media-Rich Global Society

Current Employee - IT Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - IT Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Spansion

Pros

Spansion is the largest company exclusively focused on Flash memory solutions. Flash memory can be found in nearly every electronic device- in cell phones, cars, printers, networking equipment, set-top boxes, high-definition TVs, games and other consumer electronics. As people continue to demand more multimedia content in their homes, at work and on the go, and as electronic products become increasingly complex, the amount of Flash memory in electronic devices will continue to grow.

With a primary focus on the integrated Flash memory market, our solutions are incorporated into electronic products from Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), including the top ten handset, consumer electronics and automotive OEMs around the world.

Cons

low pay, bankrupt, firing without severance

Sell the company to Micron/Toshiba

117 Other Employee Reviews for Spansion (View Most Recent)

Iron Stomach (and Closed Mouth) Required to Work Here

Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spansion

Pros

I can't deny it - I am well-paid.

Cons

Your vacation time is held hostage by market fluctuations in that you are told when you can and cannot take your vacation. A benefit promised to you can be taken away at any time.

If you're going on a "money-saving" spree, make it worthwhile and lasting. Truly evaluate how many employees are needed to get a job done. In many cases there are far too many do-nothings and hard-working employees are let go to "save money". In truth it would be cheaper to retain 5 hard-workers and let go of 10 "cheaper" workers. Review your HR department. Those with serious management concerns cannot even get their e-mails responded to by HR.

Great engineering, tough business

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spansion

Pros

The culture is hard-driving and meritocratic, where respect for people is a core value. There are many exceedingly talented people there with best-in-class performance in many areas. Manufacturing systems are a particular strength.

Cons

Layoffs and lean hiring since spinning off from AMD and Fujitsu have left a relatively senior workforce--experienced and talented but also somewhat less vibrant than when I arrived. Benefits have been steadily erroded: sabbaticals were reduced several times and then recently eliminated, the old stock options have been replaced with restricted stock (which are all worth less than the taxes paid on them), the stock purchase plan was eliminated and never replaced, counter to promises from senior management (it would have provided the company cash that they so desperately need). The overall NOR flash business is getting smaller--despite generally outworking the competition, believing in a rosy future requires a leap of faith that one of the new, non-NOR efforts will take off, but those efforts have not all been well supported in the most recent cash-preservation-first days.

There have been several bet-the-company decisions that seem poor. The fact that SP1 was built in Japan, with *zero* government incentives probably killed the company (recent AMD, Samsung, and Intel fabs have all gotten $300M to $1.2B in incentives). The analysis that led to that decision seemed driven more by a desire to make Fujitsu happy in the early days of the spinoff than by sound financial analysis. The engineers at SP1 are generally very good and working very hard, but the SP1 startup has been rocky, and of course it was built a year or 2 too soon. The focus on market share above all else should have been rethought years ago. Blaming the competition for "irrational" pricing when we have gained market share every quarter is foolish. Not raising prices (or stopping the decline) when our factories were full and we were still losing money was foolish. Spending as much money as we did refitting the SDC and then not generating any revenue there was not wise. Our foundry strategy has generally been a disaster: paying TSMC for years and then walking away, teaching SMIC how to compete with us, giving our backend operations away such that we've lost much of the vertical integration and control that we once had. If the new executive team thinks that this is the direction the company should go, I hope that they'll rethink it. Our in-house talent is our best asset--be careful about believing promises that others can do better.

There are newer employer reviews for Spansion