Frustrating..

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff
Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company makes available training and resources to advance your career. Filled with great co-workers and fun management. Has a diverse skill set need, which allows for learning and growth.

Cons

In bankruptcy the executive team was replaced with great motivated members. Those below them have not moved in years, and most plan to retire out of their current role. This has created roadblocks for change. Limited growth potential for career oriented workers and fear + territorial behavior for those at the top. Add in forced distribution ranking where mangers fail to read goals and performance to expectation, and you have disfunction. Those at the top are self ranking each other via hand shake, and people who are perceived as a threat, are ranked out of contention. Executive management made the changes necessary to generate success, but failed to push the changes into all ranks. Spansion is now a glass ceiling company. If you work there you will know when you hit the glass, and depart. Current strategy is to replace high level exiting engineers with new college graduates. This will generate 5 years of growth potential for the new hires. Issue in the policy is those at the top will not mentor up, becasue of a "see you still need me" job protection mentality.

Advice to Management

Capitalize on potential. Force retired on the job workers back to work, or lose those around them who are being tasked with completing open projects. You created a lean employee company. Now you have to follow through with getting the right people on the bus, and removing those who no longer belong. I have sat in too many meeting where a senior manager says "I am doing this because I was told I have too not because I believe it is the right direction", and then later comes back to voice the initiative as a total failure. When rolling out benifits changes stop saying we strive to be average. Use smart speech. "We work hard to meet industry santards" or " as benchmarking is completed we align the company to be competative." Telling employees you provide average benefits but require exceptional performance is not the message you want to send.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Bad management, good working environment

I worked at Spansion full-time

Pros

very good and friendly working environment

Cons

management is not so impressive

2. Great company

I worked at Spansion

Pros

Very good people to work with Work life balance Good compensation and benefit

Cons

Frequent lay off No competitive new product